News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Need help with homepage/moving forum to another link

Started by rob1986, January 30, 2015, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob1986

I have looked around to try and find an answer to what I am trying to do, but couldn't find much help.

I am trying to have a blank homepage that I can code from scratch between the <head> tags, and put the forum in examplewebsite.com/FORUM and just have a link in my "homepage" to link to the "examplewebsite.com/FORUM".

I tried moving everything to /forum in my ftp, but did not know what settings to change for it to work when I went to examplewebsite/Forum

It is probably something simple that I cant see, but I did try changing a few things in settings.php, but with no luck.

Any help would be appreciative. Thanks!

Kindred

why bother moving it?

You can, of course...
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Hosting_-_How_do_I_move_my_SMF_forum_to_a_different_host
step 1 and 3
move the files, then run rapir_settings.php to reset the URL and paths to the new location.

However, if you just want a static homepage, then I would install either one of the portal mods (any of which can generate a homepage in front of the forum index as well as other useful things) or the homepage mod (which does just that -- builds a homepage in front of the forum index)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rob1986

I will try that. I do not want the constraints of the forum to the homepage, as I want it to be re-sizeable, etc. I have used ezportal for the homepage, but it also used the background, etc from the forum, and I do not want to do that anymore.

Where is the homepage mod? I searched for one, and the only one I could find wouldn't work with our current version.

Kindred

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2915

should work on 2.0.9 just fine, although you may have to emulate the version 2.0 RC4 to get it to install.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rob1986

I am trying to move everything over to examplewebsite.com/forum from examplewebsite.com, but everytime I use repair settings, it says I cant find my sources folder, etc.

Might need a guide of some sorts. Getting frustrated.

Illori

have you moved all your files/folders from /forum to the main folder? are you running repair_settings.php from the new location?

rob1986

yes, and it says it cannot find the sources folder, and I can clearly see it in there.

rob1986

Would it have anything to do with the database?

I am getting this error:
"Warning: require_once(/home/content/12/10730012/html/Settings.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/12/10730012/html/index.php on line 44

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/12/10730012/html/Settings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /home/content/12/10730012/html/index.php on line 44"

Kindred

well that would imply that your site is improperly set up... to a major extend, if it can not even find Settings.php - then it will never be able to run ANYTHING.
Слaва
Украинi

rob1986

it's weird because if it is just in the root folder ti runs fine, then when i put it into another folder in ftp, then it goes all hay-wire..

Kindred

If you move it, you MUST change all of the paths and URLs in settings.php and in the database...  That's what repair_settings.pho is supposed to help with.
Слaва
Украинi

rob1986

Well i changed everything in repair settings and double checked the settings.php and that is how I got that error. Had to do repair settings twice because the first time it gave me errors about the cache.

Night09

You should clear the cache and your cookies after you have moved the forum to stop any chance of errors related to defunct cache data. 

Set all the paths in settings.php to the correct ones. Your database details remain the same.(username,password ect)

Put repair_settings.php in the forum folder not the root. Browse to it and check the paths corresponding to the new location. If it offers two choices read what it says and select the correct new path.

Once thats done you should remove repair_settings.php and have it working.  If you have errors then something is being overlooked like file permissions in the new folder maybe.

rob1986

So apparently I was doing everything correctly, but in repair_settings.php, the "queryless URL's" and "Output compression" was turned on. I turned them off (as recommended) and solved my problem. Do not know why they were on to begin with...

Night09

It is the default option afaik so you had to choose to turn them off as recommended. If they were already on using an existing forum with a path error it likely wouldnt have mattered. That means if you activated the option via admin then it should work ok when repairing.

Advertisement: