News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

how to remove post time and date from reply on smf?

Started by danster, January 31, 2015, 08:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danster

Hi...!
please anyone knows how to remove the posting time and date under the reply messages on smf..?
I mean remove  this [« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 09:43:08 AM » ] form messages..

Thank you..!

Kindred

you would have to modify display.template.php to remove the code that displays it...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

danster

Quote from: Kindred on January 31, 2015, 08:12:16 AM
you would have to modify display.template.php to remove the code that displays it...

Thank for quick reply I try for it but I couldn't find the code so please if you can show me the code please...

Thank you..

Illori

why do you want to remove that information? it is kinda useful, so you know when the last person replied to a topic.

Sir Osis of Liver

Display.template.php

<!--div class="smalltext">« <strong>', !empty($message['counter']) ? $txt['reply_noun'] . ' #' . $message['counter'] : '', ' ', $txt['on'], ':</strong> ', $message['time'], ' »</div-->

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Krash... do remember -- we do kinda like to find out what the user's ACTUAL intentions are and make suggestions rather than just supplying the code that the think they might need... :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Sometimes I think it's kinder to just give the fix, if it's simple to do/undo, and let the user decide if it's what they want.

- R. Waters

Steve

Granted and I said the same thing but it was explained to me why that isn't a good idea ... I gotta go find that ...
DO NOT pm me for support!

Burke ♞ Knight

Still, if it does not actually harm anything for an edit to be done, then why drag it out?
I don't think removing post time and date is a good thing, but still, I don't see how it could do major harm, other than being a royal pain in the neck, to the members. ;)

danster

Quote from: Krash on January 31, 2015, 02:18:21 PM
Display.template.php

<!--div class="smalltext">« <strong>', !empty($message['counter']) ? $txt['reply_noun'] . ' #' . $message['counter'] : '', ' ', $txt['on'], ':</strong> ', $message['time'], ' »</div-->

Thank you for help It's work perfectly.., yes I know it's useful but I just wanted to know how to do it... thank you for quick help

Brdgs..!

Arantor

Quote from: ♘ DeadMan ♘ on January 31, 2015, 08:12:57 PM
Still, if it does not actually harm anything for an edit to be done, then why drag it out?
I don't think removing post time and date is a good thing, but still, I don't see how it could do major harm, other than being a royal pain in the neck, to the members. ;)

Because then it will be our fault later when things go wrong, as it invariably is.

Sir Osis of Liver

Here's the display template from my two production forums -

Neat, clean, no clutter, easy to see and use.  Nothing has gone wrong.  It's a matter of personal preference.  OP asked for help with a minor template change.  Simple edit, easy to do/undo.  Let him and his members decide if they like it or not. 

- R. Waters

Arantor

You missed my point. The user wanted to know how to do it, and will then proceed to take this new found knowledge and try to make other changes, which will break things because SMF is a very complex and interconnected beast.

For example in your forum, does quick modify actually work properly? Quick modify, for example, modifies the subject box which you appear to have removed.

Burke ♞ Knight

Not to mention, Krash, that pic shows nothing of the above mentioned edit being done. :P

Looks rather normal, to me, in the date/time part, that is. But, I also would like to know if the Quick Mod still works, or throws a bunch of errors into the log.

Arantor

Oh, it won't throw errors into the error log, it just won't necessarily work properly depending on how the change was done.

Sir Osis of Liver

Yes, quick mod works fine, doesn't throw any errors.  The changes are mostly cosmetic, just in the template.  As you can see, I've removed the Reply #, but left the post date/time.  My members are only interested in the forum content, not gimmicks.

- R. Waters

Arantor

I didn't mean the forum error log, I meant the browser itself will throw errors if you hack out the subject box since it won't have anywhere to put the subject box in for quick modify...

Oh, and mishandling that can also cause your posts to drop their titles, which has more interesting consequences elsewhere.

Burke ♞ Knight

Never liked the idea of no subject for replies.
That old RE: is more handy than most people care to think.

Not just for the usual reasons, but also for a few others that I have used them for, in the past. (Thanks to each post having their own subject, makes for better finding of posts when listing things in a thread via replies.)

Advertisement: