New Private Message Notification not working?

Started by Destrogath, January 31, 2015, 11:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destrogath

Hey all, first time I've encountered this problem.

I am using a modified SMF Default (curve) theme. Someone just pointed out to me that on our forums when you receive a private message you aren't actually notified. Normally up top on the menu you'll see My Messages [1], or something along those lines. Letting you know that you have one new unread message.

For some reason this isn't showing up on my forum. Any ideas? I did some searching and had no luck finding a solution. I cannot even think what I might have done that would disable that.

Illori

are you using any mods that edit/change your menu?

Destrogath

Quote from: Illori on January 31, 2015, 11:07:38 AM
are you using any mods that edit/change your menu?

Yes I am. Menu Editor Lite - from the modifications section on this site. Great mod.

kat

You say "modified". In what way(s) has it been modified?

Now, then... One would assume that this worked, at some stage. Do you not get the popups, either?

Assuming these things worked, at some stage, one has to wonder what happened, to make them go from working, to not.

Did you make aforementioned modifications? If so, it might be those.

Did you install a mod, or twenty?

Which mods do you have, installed?

Is there, perchance, anything in the ol' error-log that might be relevant? (I always fancied getting the word "perchance" into a post, here) ;)

Ninjad! :P

Destrogath

Quote from: K@ on January 31, 2015, 11:12:38 AM
You say "modified". In what way(s) has it been modified?

Now, then... One would assume that this worked, at some stage. Do you not get the popups, either?

Assuming these things worked, at some stage, one has to wonder what happened, to make them go from working, to not.

Did you make aforementioned modifications? If so, it might be those.

Did you install a mod, or twenty?

Which mods do you have, installed?

Is there, perchance, anything in the ol' error-log that might be relevant? (I always fancied getting the word "perchance" into a post, here) ;)

Ninjad! :P

The modifications were strictly aesthetic. I swapped the new posts graphic "new.gif" to make new posts appear in bold.
I removed the "hot" column from the thread section of the forum. That's all I can think of. I did nothing to the code aside from those two things, which were done following guides posted by SMF pro's on this forum.

Mod's installed - Menu Editor Lite (used this to remove the help button, and moderate button), Custom Forms, Ohara YouTube Embed.

Shambles

If you check in the support topic for Menu Editor Lite you'll see that it causes the issue you're experiencing.

Destrogath

Quote from: Shambles on January 31, 2015, 11:25:49 AM
If you check in the support topic for Menu Editor Lite you'll see that it causes the issue you're experiencing.

I'll look now, I must have glanced over it when I look.

Destrogath

I found the fix in the code via the Menu editor lite support thread. Thank you for your help! Marking this as solved.

Advertisement: