News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Update SMF 2.0RC5

Started by Jules2015, February 01, 2015, 03:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules2015

Hi, im try to update the smf versión 2.0RC5 to 2.0, i have a big doubt, in my forum i have many mods and posts, what is the best way to update to smf 2.0 without lose muy information and mods, really thanks for the support friends. Regards.

NanoSector

Hi Jules2015, welcome to the community!

Your only method of updating would be upgrading, losing any mods and custom coding in the meantime. Your posts will stay the way they are though, and no content will be lost. Make sure to backup your forum though.

Everything is described in this article:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

Upgrading from a beta version to the current stable version without losing mods would require about 3 days' full time work for an SMF expert to do.

Especially since a good number of the mods have been updated since.

You will keep your data, however.

Jules2015

Ok, i will do a full backup, but  if i understand correctly, all my mods will be delete and any custom code, but the users, posts, structure, etc...will be ok right? and when i update my forum only reinstall de mods with de the new version? and my last doubt i need tu uninstall all my mods or will be delete automatically? thanks for the support, im a dot net programmer, but is my first project of support of a smf forum, is awesome the smf because is very easy to installa from scratch, but i need to give support to a forum that have a lot of information and i dont wanna loose anything jeje, thnks

Kindred

always backup.:)

That is TWO backups... one for the database (done from your HOST control panel or phpmyadmin -- not the smf admin backup function) and one for your FILES.

yes, all mods will be removed (although ones using "hooks" may not be fully uninstalled...)

yes... you will reinistall mods once you are done upgrading the core. (do note, THEMES may require additional care... if you are using a custom theme, then you should probably remove the theme files and install a clean copy of that theme's files (since some mods apply to themes and could end up getting double installed, if you don't load clean files during the upgrade)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jules2015

Ok thnk u very much,only last doubt, i need to turn on maintance mode the forum or is not a must? tomorrow i will start to update the forum, i will tell u later the resultado, i hope soon learn more about smf and can help to future users :D,

Kindred

Not a must... But a better experience for the users
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

when you run upgrade.php it will prompt you to put the forum into maintenance mode.

Advertisement: