The new Edit rule...

Started by Burke ♞ Knight, February 04, 2015, 12:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burke ♞ Knight

QuoteSeeing as how you are the first to notice or have an issue (and it's been in place for a week, now) I think that the arguments that the edit feature is frequently used (which I was a defender of) are indeed, less applicable than I thought.

However, Kindred, as I'm sure you had pointed out, Mod and Theme authors do need a way to edit the first post of their support topics.

Now, the idea of edit the mod/theme page is all great, and it would be great to have it copy 100% likeness to the first post of the support topic, whenever changes are made.

However, that is not the case yet. So, how about a compromise? Set a special group for those that have themes and mods, and allow them edit rights to their own posts, without giving that to basic members?

I know that can be done, as the permissions could be worked and set. Sure, may take a bit of configuring, but it is able to be done, without extra coding, just permissions and groups.

Illori

Quote from: ♘ DeadMan ♘ on February 04, 2015, 12:26:22 PM
However, that is not the case yet. So, how about a compromise? Set a special group for those that have themes and mods, and allow them edit rights to their own posts, without giving that to basic members?

the lock out for editing applies to everyone unless they can modify all posts. without a mod to SMF this is not possible. also keeping up with a list of all mod/theme authors is a big task.

vbgamer45

I ran into this the other day as well.  Maybe another non primary group. And just put all members into it who submitted mod/theme.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Burke ♞ Knight

Is there not permission profiles?
Is there not setting certain groups and boards to those permission profiles?

As for the last part, why search them out? Let them PM a team member to get added to the group. ;)

Illori

as that setting applies to EVERYONE unless they can edit all posts, i dont see any work around. i dont see the team letting mod authors edit all posts anywhere just because they want to edit the first post in their thread. they could always ask a team member to do the edit for them.

vbgamer45

Just kind of sucks though SMF been around for years now just gets harder for the rest of us due to a few bad apples.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kindred

we'll see...

Just to confirm what Illori has already noted -- the post edit time limit is NOT a group level permission...   it's global
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Or we solve it like I suggested before: have the mod site update the first post (instead of having to do both, just do it once) when you do an edit on the mod site. This would negate the one use case on this site where it's actually a problem.

Kindred

good suggestion...   that, of course, requires someone to actually recode the mod site (and we all know  where THAT mess stands...)

I'll think on it...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Hardly a major change, just a splicing in of a modifyPost() call in the right place.

vbgamer45

Only other part is the subject of the topic created would need a place as well..

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

br360

What about a "no edit" group instead? That way everyone could still have editing rights; but when a person starts posting negative things, or is possibly just trolling-then goes back to edit out those posts as if nothing happened- they get moved into that no edit group.

Personally, I have seen very few instances where a person has become a problem and start editing all of their posts- and maybe it would be a lot less work to just move them into a group with no edit abilities than to take away the ability for everyone else?

vbgamer45

Quote from: br360 on February 04, 2015, 03:33:09 PM
What about a "no edit" group instead? That way everyone could still have editing rights; but when a person starts posting negative things, or is possibly just trolling, they get moved into that no edit group.

Personally, I have seen very few instances where a person has become a problem and start editing all of their posts- and maybe it would be a lot less work to just move them into a group with no edit abilities than to take away the ability for everyone else?
I agree or just ban that person if they are causing an issue.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 04, 2015, 03:15:59 PM
Only other part is the subject of the topic created would need a place as well..

Still done with modifyPost IIRC.

Quoteand maybe it would be a lot less work to just move them into a group with no edit abilities than to take away the ability for everyone else

Actually this is more work and in any case, usually too late to prevent things going sideways.

vbgamer45

Quote from: Arantor on February 04, 2015, 03:36:14 PM
Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 04, 2015, 03:15:59 PM

Still done with modifyPost IIRC.

As long as it is customizable and not just the mod title that would work.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

As in: you edit the title and body which gets auto synched with the topic like it does on first creation. I do not understand why this is so complicated.

Burke ♞ Knight

Well, could always set it to have a title for the mod page, and an added field for support topic title, if people just care to change that, and not the mod page title.

Kindred

BK...ummm... no.

When it gets done, it will make the post mirror the mod site. title & contents. plain and simple 

the hassle is finding the person who has the access to the mod site and the time (however minor the edit actually is)
Слaва
Украинi

Burke ♞ Knight

Umm... It was only a suggestion, due to the fact that some mod makers, like to add stuff to the titles of support topics, but not the mods themselves, as a way to keep track of replies per version update.

dougiefresh

ARG01

Quote from: dougiefresh on February 20, 2015, 01:24:17 PM
Any progress on this topic?

I was going to offer my opinions on this but I was afraid that I would say something stupid, and not be able to edit or delete later. So I'll just keep quite.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

margarett

LOL :)

Next week I should be able to look at it and hopefully have a fix for it.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

wynnyelle

I just wind up double posting instead when I can't edit my posts anymore and need to add more info.

Antes

You should be posting instead of editing, new post(s) also notifies the other user(s) (replied) to that topic, so they'll actually get notified about the progress on solving or answering (or any other) stuff...

Acans

Also while Bruno looks at a fix were updating the customize description updates the first post of the topic in Modifications and Packages & Theme Site Themes, please send a PM to SMF Customization Team requesting to have the first post manually updated :).
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Advertisement: