Require comment approval before it posts.

Started by SDMiller, February 04, 2015, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDMiller

It seems like a standard feature that should already exists... to be able to require moderator approval of comments before they post in a specific board.

I have a board that is quiz based... and I would like to be able to suppress all people's answers (which they submit as a "comment" to the post) in that one board until after the deadline for submissions has passed, so that other people can't see the submitted answers.

Thanks!

[If this is already possible, I was unable to find out how using search under "comment" or "approval"]

Antes

1) Enable Post Moderation via Core Features page.
2) Go Members > Permissions > Edit Permissions
3) Create new profile (name it... like Approval)
4) Go Post Moderation page select profile Approval
5) Change permissions, moderate new topics or new posts for Regular members etc...
6) Go Forum > Modify Board > Select the board you want to assign new permissions (via Modify button) and give Approval as Permission profile.

Kindred

In other words... Yes, it does already exist as a feature... ;)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SDMiller

Thanks Antes and Kindred for your replies!

It works now! Thank you very much!  ;D
What's nice is even global moderators can be required to get permission from the board's moderator. Noice!

Thankyou.

P.S.
Minor modification for your instructions:
1) Enable Post Moderation via Core Features page.
2) Go Members > Permissions > Edit Permissions Profiles
3) Create new profile (name it... like Approval)
4) Go Post Moderation page select profile Approval
5) Change permissions, moderate new topics or new posts for Regular members etc...
6) Go Forum > Modify Boards > Select the board you want to assign new permissions (via Modify button) and give Approval as Permission profile.

;)

Professor Sea

That was quite enlightening... I never knew that before.
Visit my forum: http://endo.darkglass.net/

Steve

Since you brought this thread back up ...

Quote from: SDMiller on February 07, 2015, 12:00:22 PMWhat's nice is even global moderators can be required to get permission from the board's moderator.

What's the point of having a global mod then?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Professor Sea

Quote from: Steve on April 07, 2015, 08:13:59 AM

Quote from: SDMiller on February 07, 2015, 12:00:22 PMWhat's nice is even global moderators can be required to get permission from the board's moderator.

Because a global moderator moderates all incoming posts is my guess. I could be wrong.

SDMiller

In this case, it's so the board moderator can host quizzes at the forum, and even the global mods can fairly participate =)

It's a setting you can set, so doesn't HAVE to require approval for global mods.... it's just slick that is CAN be required... which turned out to be perfect for me.

Professor Sea

Quote from: SDMiller on April 08, 2015, 12:20:11 AM

In this case, it's so the board moderator can host quizzes at the forum, and even the global mods can fairly participate =)

It's a setting you can set, so doesn't HAVE to require approval for global mods.... it's just slick that is CAN be required... which turned out to be perfect for me.

So if I get this straight, even global mods can participated in quizzes at their own forum and the moderators can also do so with permission? Just getting my facts straight...

SDMiller

Quote from: Professor Sea on April 08, 2015, 02:17:44 AM
Quote from: SDMiller on April 08, 2015, 12:20:11 AM

So if I get this straight, even global mods can participated in quizzes at their own forum and the moderators can also do so with permission? Just getting my facts straight...

It works like this...

I have a board that is specifically for quizzes, which has prizes, and timelimits. This board has a specific moderator, the one who runs the quiz, who posts questions there, and people reply to the posts to answer the questions.

So that people's answers don't show until the timelimit is over, replies have to be approved by the forum's moderator. When the timer runs out, he distributes points and prizes and approves all the replies so people can see what everyone's answers were.

If global moderators could approve the messages, then they too could see people's answers before the timer is out... which means they could cheat and peek... thus wouldn't be fair to participate in the quizzes.

BUT, since SMF is so kick ass... you can actually set up that one forum board to exclude even global moderators from being able to approve posts on just that one board... so that only the specified moderator can. This way, it's fair for global moderators to participate in the quizzes since they can't see the answers ahead of time.

=)

Advertisement: