Installed SMF to IP address instead of domain name

Started by MadCityKaren, February 06, 2015, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadCityKaren

I'm a newbie to SMF as well as really anything to do with websites/databases/etc. 

Anyway, as noted in the subject line I somehow managed to install SMF to the IP address/~directory name rather than the domain name -- and don't know how to rectify the situation.  (The only way the installer would activate was using the IP address ...)

(I'm currently mulling over deleting everything I've done so far and starting over again.) 

Any advice would be appreciated!

margarett

Hi and welcome ;)

If you have no content yet, delete and reinstall is a viable option. Or you can use repair_settings
What is repair_settings.php?
Access the tool through the domain, fix and save paths. Done ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

MadCityKaren

Thanks, margarett!  I may have to try that (as I really don't want to start completely over again if I can help it -- this has been an all day adventure already). 

MadCityKaren

I found the repair settings tool didn't help me out here. 

Is this GUIDE still accurate for installing SMF through cPanel?  This is the guide I'd followed initially along with referencing the online manual wiki -- despite being several years old, it seemed to make sense until I got to the Installer section:  I went to domain address, adding /smf/ behind it as in the example, and there was nothing there (i.e. "this webpage is not available"). 

When I'd used the temp IP address provided by my web host, I was able to do the install -- I suspect this may be an issue with the web host rather than SMF and am currently checking with them as I'm seeing "Internal Server Error 500" messages when going directly to the server IP address -- but did want to make certain this GUIDE was still appropriate for use as I didn't want to use one of the script installers; Sofaculous was noted for SMF on my cPanel.

MadCityKaren

Update: seems that I had a little user-error issue (with web hosting) which has since been resolved.   :-[ 

Will mark this 'solved' now.   :)

Kindred

Well, if you used an IP address to set up the forum, the forum will always expect the IP address to be used as the access point. You will have to use repair_settings.php to change the forum settings so that they point to your domain url instead of the IP address.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: