Multiple members showing host ip address

Started by Kimmie, February 09, 2015, 03:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimmie

This has been happening since around Jan 13th. Posts including mine are all showing up as the host server IP. I wasn't sure if this was a host issue or an issue on my end.  Anyone know what is causing this? :/

Kindred

did you, or your host, start using a proxy service like cloudflare?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kimmie

I just got this response from them but I don't know anything about it. Do you?

QuoteThis is a know issue with the CloudFlare module, we would need to get this server moved to Centos 6 to fix this issue and that should be done in a future maintenance around march

Is this a security risk to my site? They won't fix it until March.

Kimmie

This is according to Wiki and not real sure I am comfortable with this

Reputation[edit]
As of March 2014, CloudFlare was ranked in the top 10 of the world's worst hosts and networks based on malicious traffic it hosts.[18]

Cloudflare is hosting numerous websites selling stolen credit cards.[19]

Two of ISIS' top three online chat forums are currently guarded by CloudFlare.[20]

margarett

I'm on the phone now but the fix for the IP behind CF was recently posted here

;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kimmie

Sorry for the late reply, your post isn't showing up under my recent replies.

Here as in where? How do I fix it when I don't have access to it? I didn't install this the host did.

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kimmie

Wait so I have to install the  Bad Behavior and CloudFare mods to fix what the host screwed up?

" Which is a PHP-based solution for blocking link spam and the robots which deliver it."

Bad Behavior is to block spam linking. That isn't the problem.

margarett

No, no, ....

You just need this
QuoteAdding this to the top of my index.php file fixed it without the need for a mod:

if($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']){
$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];
}

waris

The host did not screw up. They usually have security programs for their servers.

You need to install Bad Behaviour for the security of your forum, which has nothing to do with your host.

margarett

For what's being discussed in this topic, Bad Behavior has nothing to do with it.
It was just mentioned in the topic I linked and the member was confused.

In this topic we just try to fix the fact that everyone shows up with the same IP!

Kimmie

Quote from: waris on February 12, 2015, 11:17:54 AM

The host did not screw up. They usually have security programs for their servers.

You need to install Bad Behaviour for the security of your forum, which has nothing to do with your host.

I don't need more security. I need my host to fix what ever they did to cause these IP's to mess up. The host did screw up, they admitted it as I already stated. They even said they would fix it in March.

Quote from: margarett on February 11, 2015, 10:10:55 AM
No, no, ....

You just need this
QuoteAdding this to the top of my index.php file fixed it without the need for a mod:

if($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']){
$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];
}

I will try this but I really don't think I should have to since the host is the one that has messed this up. I never had this problem until mid January and I have used this host for 2 years now. I am just worried about what will happen if I make this change and then they come back and start screwing with it again in March like they said.

margarett

I edited your post to remove the name-calling, please don't do that ;)

As for your problem, that's a know issue with Cloudflare and that fix will work ;)

Kimmie

ok I am actually kind of scared to make this edit. I don't want to screw it up  lol

When you say add this to the "top" - do you mean a line or two right below the <?php or do I need to put it farther down?

Thanks

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kimmie

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 25, 2015, 02:35:55 PM
Below the <?php

Thank you! After running ccleaner to clean out cache etc, it worked. :)

Just hope when the host goes to make their changes, it won't mess anything up.

Kimmie

Unfortunately this worked for about 2 days.  Now it is back to showing the host IP. :(

Looks like the code is still intact so I know the host didn't mess with it

EDIT: After a 2 day battle with my host, they finally gave in to my demand to get me the heck off that server. Seems the one I am on is the only one they use that cloudflare crap on.

Advertisement: