How to change domain

Started by pkonlynoob, February 11, 2015, 02:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkonlynoob

I have been searching around on google how to change domain And I didn't get it changed. Can anyone tell me how I do that
I bought a domain from trentahost

pkonlynoob

if you need anymore details let me know

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pkonlynoob

I have to moves the files I did get that but where? I bought the domain from trentahost

Kindred

well...   you need TWO things.... a domain and a host.

you set up your domain with your host and then put the files on the host's server.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pkonlynoob

I have a vps and a domain both bought from trentahost? so I only have to put the smf forums files over to the vps?

Kindred

Did you read the instructions?
Слaва
Украинi

pkonlynoob

Yes, I did read but I have one issues. Should I just upload the to the vps and leave the at desktop or? Sorry I guess this is easy for you but its my first time doing it

Kindred

You need to load the files onto your new server...
Слaва
Украинi

pkonlynoob

I still don't get this? I have the forum files but where do I have to upload them too? Where do I find my new server files? Is it on vps or on 00webhost that I have to upload them to?

Kindred

Ok, you need to have some sort of basic understanding to run a website.

Do you actually have a Vps?
Do you even know what a Vps is?

Do you even have an existing forum?  If so, where and how did you set that up?

Forum files need to be uploaded to your server... Plain and simple. I have no idea how to say it any more clearly.
Слaва
Украинi

pkonlynoob

Quote from: Kindred on February 14, 2015, 05:58:42 PM

Forum files need to be uploaded to your server... Plain and simple. I have no idea how to say it any more clearly.

I'm using trenthost vps
And I recently bought a domain from trentahost
Im new to this, thats why I'm asking for help.
I did set up my forum with 00webhost

The issue is I don't know where I should upload the straight to the desktop on vps?

kawajax

Quote from: pkonlynoob on February 14, 2015, 06:17:30 PM

I'm using trenthost vps

The issue is I don't know where I should upload the straight to the desktop on vps?

You need to activate domain in your vps, and DNS of course..

I use Ubuntu server (not VPS, dedicated server) and it's host several domain. Quite good instructions to activate virtual domain in server: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-apache-virtual-hosts-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts
No one is in charge of your happiness, except you.
http://shareitservice.com/

pkonlynoob

Quote from: kawajax on February 14, 2015, 06:24:18 PM
Quote from: pkonlynoob on February 14, 2015, 06:17:30 PM

I'm using trenthost vps

You need to activate domain in your vps, and DNS of course..

I use Ubuntu server (not VPS, dedicated server) and it's host several domain. Quite good instructions to activate virtual domain in server: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-apache-virtual-hosts-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts
I have tried to search on google how to activate domain on a vps but didn't find anything that helps me

kawajax

Quote from: pkonlynoob on February 14, 2015, 06:28:34 PM
I have tried to search on google how to activate domain on a vps but didn't find anything that helps me

VPS is "same" like dedicated server (for user). So you have there OS, which you have?
And are you make proper A-record settings for you DNS?

pkonlynoob

I have windows, Can you do this for me over Team viewer I'm so lost atm

kawajax

kawajax

Kindred

Talk to your host....

We specialize in getting forums set up and configured...  For the most part, we do not deal with setting up servers. That is the job of the owner and the host, and, by the time you reach the point of setting up a forum, you need to already have your server set up
Слaва
Украинi

Bruce the Shark

Have you email your hosting provider to assist you out in installing the files for your forum
What have they said to you.
Also are you sure you have a VPS servers and not just a shared hosting.

Advertisement: