News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to make a page break in the Board description?

Started by DenDen60, February 14, 2015, 04:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

I have tried <br> and it does not work.

I have tried <p> and it does not work.

It does work when I use <p><p> but not only do I want a paragraph break, but I want a line in between to show a clear separation.

Mortissimov

You can try <hr>. It's a pagebreak line.

It looks like this:

DenDen60

Thank you navMartin. Good to know, but should have specified that I want an blank line between paragraphs.

Mortissimov

Oh, sorry I misunderstand it. So, how many <br> tag do you used? Because 1 <br> is just put the text in new line. 2 <br> need for the space.

Like this:

DenDen60

Great. Thanks. I don't know why I did not try this before hand. ;-)

Kindred

Do note... It is not recommended to use html in the board descriptions... And that ability actually might be removed at some future point.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DenDen60

Why is it not recommended? Does it cause problems? I use it to make the text more readable and insert links so that readers can go further for more information.

Arantor

Because it will be removed in the future! Problems... yes, potentially if you give non-administrators the power to manage boards.

Steve

Quote from: Arantor on February 14, 2015, 06:41:44 PM... potentially if you give non-administrators the power to manage boards ...

I'm not sure why anyone would do that but who knows why people do what they do ...

Is this the only reason? Are there any potential coding or functional issues that may be caused?
DO NOT pm me for support!

margarett

There is no functional problem by its own. As soon as you use HTML you can use, eg, JavaScript and do all kinds of evil.
That's why we strongly advise against the usage of HTML in pretty much everywhere :)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Steve

DenDen60

May I suggest that you include this as an option. Owners could then decide if they want it or not.

Kindred

or not...   seriously, most of the security reports these days have to do with HTML being allowed in various places.

Additionally, I have seen people break their layouts by using HTML in the board description (images, for one)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DenDen60

Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2015, 10:41:02 AM
or not...   seriously, most of the security reports these days have to do with HTML being allowed in various places.

I understand your point Kindred, but most of the accidents associated with drinking and driving is related to driving while under the influence of alcohol. Should we stops restaurants to sell alcohol? Should we banish alcohol altogether? I think you will agree with me that we should not do this? I don't want my freedom to be taking away because some people have problems handling this. 

Please remember that when we install SMF we already need to be concern about security. We need to delete the install.php file, we need to raise the level of password difficulty, etc.

It should be the same for this option.  If we are responsible enough to install and manage the forum, including giving permissions to other people , should we not be responsible enough to decide if we want to include HTML in our description?

Again, Kindred, I understand your point and we should be made aware of the risks and promote best practices on how to handle this, but from my point of view, it should be left to the owner of the forum to decide.

Kindred

and yet, it is proven time and time again that leaving security matters to the decision of the admin is - overall - a bad idea. To the point where we have alreayd removed several areas which previously allowed html....
Слaва
Украинi

DenDen60

Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2015, 01:50:04 PM
and yet, it is proven time and time again that leaving security matters to the decision of the admin is - overall - a bad idea. To the point where we have already removed several areas which previously allowed html....
Again I understand your point Kindred. Yes it happens time and time gain that admins do "bad" things. However, going back to drinking and driving example, there are 240 million drivers in the USA. 300 000 drink and drive each day. So time and time again people get caught drinking and driving. (4 000 a day apparently.) Are we going to stop selling alcohol? Of course not! We won't punish everyone because of a few. Instead, we tried to raise their awareness and let them free to choses when they had enough. And it worked, less people drink and drive now then 10, 20 and 30  years ago. People lean.

If we are not going to stop selling alcohol which kills or injures 300 000 people or more a year in the USA, and let people decide when to stop drinking, should we not let forum owners decide what to do when it is questions of using HTML in their directory?

Steve

You're comparing a product and action that harms others. This isn't the case here so I can't see how they can be compared.

Drinking and driving is against the law. People find a way to do it anyway. Using html in SMF is 'illegal' in the sense that the developers are saying they aren't going to allow it but people will find ways to do it anyway.

There are many laws that protect people from themselves, e.g. seat belts, motorcycle helmets etc. People find a way to disobey those laws also.

This is a product and the creators have a responsibility to make it as safe and secure as possible. Just like makers of baby's toys, cars or whatever.

I can't see this happening from the developers' end of things. I'm sure there will be ways to do what you want, it just won't be a core part of the product SMF is putting out, which is just my opinion since I'm not part of the development team.

DenDen60

We can continue this discussion for a long time but I think that the point I am making is that it does not have to be an either or situation. It can be an option that you can activate in the core feature or wherever it is best suited.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

DenDen60

Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2015, 07:48:59 PM
And we are saying that we disagree with you.

How can you disagree with the idea of giving the choice to the forum owner? It is going against the trend of giving users more control over the front end.

Advertisement: