How to make a page break in the Board description?

Started by DenDen60, February 14, 2015, 04:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

If they are "responsible" enough to make the decision to install SMF, they are responsible enough  to manage it
Ehh, no.

Jumping to conclusions is a logical fallacy

Arantor

By the same token, someone who is responsible enough to buy a car is responsible enough to maintain it under the hood? This is why we have mechanics.

Sorry, doesn't work.

Bruce the Shark

Quote from: Suki on February 23, 2015, 11:10:21 AM

So Dennis, if you want something for your own forum go ahead and do it, you don't need anybody's permission to do it.  Either as a mod, a custom code change or even a SMF fork, it doesn't matter, you have plenty of options ahead.

So really, your argument is bogus and your analogies simply do not fit.

The proposed solution is neither right or wrong, as thats relative and depends on whos viewing it, it is what it is and it will not be changed anytime soon.

Yeah well it all comes down to the fact that, its your forum and its your rules.
You have the choice to do what you want here i guess.
Take it or leave it.

DenDen60

Quote from: Arantor on February 25, 2015, 05:30:34 PM
By the same token, someone who is responsible enough to buy a car is responsible enough to maintain it under the hood? This is why we have mechanics.

Sorry, doesn't work.

Arantor, you confuse managing with repairing.  ;)

DenDen60

Quote from: Bruce the Shark on February 25, 2015, 05:37:55 PM

Yeah well it all comes down to the fact that, its your forum and its your rules.
You have the choice to do what you want here i guess.
Take it or leave it.

Yes, but as I develop my forum, I will be stuck at version 2.09, because the next version will be strip of a standard characteristic  that I use a lot.

Hence my suggestions that SMF transform this characteristic into an the option that is "off" when you install the forum, but that you can turn "on" if you decide to do it.

Arantor

And my point is that you and 99.9% of users are not qualified to understand the consequences of ticking that box.

DenDen60

Quote from: Arantor on February 26, 2015, 12:45:52 AM
And my point is that you and 99.9% of users are not qualified to understand the consequences of ticking that box.

Don't you think you are exaggerating just a little bit with your 99.9% Arantor? 8)

Suki

99.9% might be indeed an exaggeration but 95% isn't ;)

Quote from: Denis Pageau on February 25, 2015, 10:21:29 PM

Yes, but as I develop my forum, I will be stuck at version 2.09, because the next version will be strip of a standard characteristic  that I use a lot.

Hence my suggestions that SMF transform this characteristic into an the option that is "off" when you install the forum, but that you can turn "on" if you decide to do it.

Seriously Dennis, why do you insists on having this pretty limited vision of what you can/can't do with your own forum?

Your forum IS yours, to be able to customize your forum is indeed a key part on any forum software, mods and modifications are a pretty large part of the whole SMF ecosystem. Many, many people uses them, I dare to say 99.9% :P even us! on this very own site. You can still receive security updates and still maintain your custom forum quite easily too.

We appreciate your suggestion but as it has been said quite a few times already, the decision has already been made and we are pretty sure is the right decision for us and our product. So please, give it a rest, you have expressed your unique point of view and it has been taken into consideration but it is, as you said, up to us.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

DenDen60

Quote from: Kindred on February 14, 2015, 06:12:18 PM
Do note... It is not recommended to use html in the board descriptions... And that ability actually might be removed at some future point.

Thanks Suki, I thought that this decision was not made, as you can see by the message above. "that ability actually might be removed at some future point."

If it is already taken, then I will not debate anymore,  :-X but I do maintain my position.  :D

DenDen60

Also, please remember that if goes how I plan it, I will use at least one hundred instances of SMF in the next few months, I feel it will be a big hassle when I upgrade my sites.  :(   

Suki

Not really, escalating or managing a large number of forums doesn't really have to be a hassle, there are a few options you might use to facilitate your tasks.

What you want/need is a proper way to manage your forums, if you are going to manage hundreds of forums at once then you better have a way to automatize normal process like upgrading or installing mods.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

DenDen60

I agree, but it is much better not to have to upgrade a mod, and have the option already included in the core software,  :D which it is already .  :o ;)

What is a bit frustrating for me is that this option:

• has been around for 10 years.
  • is probably an option that is rarely use by others forum owners,
  • has a security threat that is not embedded in the software per se but can only happen when forum owners do not use this option properly.
Anyway, your decision is made so, I will have to live with it.   :(

Suki

Quote from: Denis Pageau on February 26, 2015, 12:34:31 PM
I agree, but it is much better not to have to upgrade a mod, and have the option already included in the core software,  :D which it is already .  :o ;)

No, it is much much better to have the ability to customize your forum the way you want it.

has been around for 10 years.

The time this option has been included in the product is irrelevant, the point is that now we had decided to remove it.

is probably an option that is rarely use by others forum owners,

Which is why if someone wants to have it back it should be added via a modification or a custom change.

So Dennis, if people rarely use it, why do we have to keep this option? makes no sense, I'm sorry.

has a security threat that is not embedded in the software per se but can only happen when forum owners do not use this option properly.

It is a security threat, doesn't matter how it can happen, the only thing that matters is that IT can happen, thats reason enough to release a security fix or remove X option from SMF.

Anyway, your decision is made so, I will have to live with it.

But you aren't :( you keep on coming up with more arguments. Really, you having to manage hundreds of boards has nothing to do with us removing an option from SMF, if you want to know how to manage hundreds of forums at once then please do open a new topic for it but don't use it as an excuse to keep on telling us what we should do.

Thanks.

DenDen60

As I wrote: Anyway, your decision is made so, I will have to live with it, or if you prefer, I will have to adapt.

DenDen60

By the way, I will use your suggestions on how to manage that many boards. However I hope that by that time Citizens and Societies will have enough revenues to hire someone to d3eal with this.  :)

Advertisement: