News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Locking solved topics?

Started by Steve, February 15, 2015, 09:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

Quote from: Steve on February 19, 2015, 03:18:11 PM
I'd volunteer to do it but that's mod level stuff so I guess it'll just have to stay the way it is. ;D
That's only true until you have to do it regularly, let alone the permissions nightmare that this place is already... So there is obvious advantage in it, a sentiment of obligation in it and, last but not least, no fun in it.

So, overall, not a good idea :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Steve

Quote from: Ρουνικ on February 19, 2015, 05:45:18 PM
why dont we make the forum read peoples minds!!

Whoa dude! Brilliant! ;)
DO NOT pm me for support!

live627

Quote from: Kindred on February 19, 2015, 01:38:29 PM
way too much effort.
So writing a mod to automate it is out of the question because it's "way too much effort"?

Kindred

Well, that was the quick, simple answer.   additionally, I disagree with separating topics like that. Seriously, we alreayd have way too many boards...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Acans

Plus the % of people that actually post in Solved topics is pretty low anyways.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Burke ♞ Knight

Not to mention, there are times, as recently happened, that replying to a solved topic, ended up fixing a bug in the code that was supplied to the original post.

Steve

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on February 19, 2015, 09:52:11 PMNot to mention, there are times, as recently happened, that replying to a solved topic, ended up fixing a bug in the code that was supplied to the original post.

That's irrelevant actually because it can be responded to no matter where the original post was to begin with.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Burke ♞ Knight

I was more explaining why not to do: "Locking solved topics?"

That was the original topic, if I'm not mistaken. ;)

live627

Quote from: Kindred on February 19, 2015, 07:25:15 PM
Well, that was the quick, simple answer.   additionally, I disagree with separating topics like that. Seriously, we alreayd have way too many boards...
Oh I certainly agree.

I guess I shouldn't play devil's advocate.

Bigguy

If a topic is created and then gets solved 5 or 6 posts through the thread but the thread is 5 pages long then why not mark it solved up until that point in the thread. Any post not having a green check mark would not be part of the original post or solution. So in this case the first 5 posts would get green check marks for being part of the original thread question and solution...any post after that in the thread would not be part of the original question or solution therefore would not get a check mark. (just an idea.)

EDIT: Plus this way no topics get locked and none have to be moved.

LiroyvH

Quote from: Ρουνικ on February 19, 2015, 05:45:18 PM
why dont we make the forum read peoples minds!!

Because not enough people think before posting :P
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Burke ♞ Knight

In a lot of cases, there is not a lot to read. :P

Advertisement: