News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I messed up the group permissions -- is there a way to reset them to default?

Started by Deprecated, February 17, 2015, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

I panicked yesterday when I received a member PM that I misinterpreted referred to a discussion in the Mod & Admin area of my forum (2.0.9) and changed a bunch of permissions. Lesson to be learned: don't panic!

At this point I don't know if I messed up the member permissions or not, and I don't recall the default for every permission -- there's lots of them!

I'll appreciate if somebody could tell me the easiest way to reset all the member group permissions to standard "just instaled" condition.

At the present I'm thinking I have a 2.0.9 test forum, and maybe the simplest way to reset is to truncate the permissions table on the production forum, export the table from my test forum and load it into the production forum.

Can you think of an easier or better way, and do you think my idea above would accomplish the desired result, or would I be messing up something else?

I can handle the board permissions easily enough, I think all I have to do is check the boxes for which member groups can access each category/board.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kindred

I don't know of any good way to do that....

you could just delete the added groups and re-add them... but if you changed the base "general member" membergroup permissions then you are kinda out of luck...

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

Well the problem is that I mistakenly thought I had members viewing the mod/admin forum from a PM I received, but it turned out to be a total mistake on my part.

I have only one added group and it's based upon the ordinary member permissions, but at this late date I can't recall what permissions I have adjusted across the board. I'd be happy with the defaults, and then any few I changed I can review what's there maybe change a few.

I'd be just as happy to lose all the permissions and start out from whatever the SMF 2.0.9 default is, and then I can just add my new group based on regular members, because I have 2 members I want to be able to participate in the Mod/Admin forum without being mod/admin.

It's a production forum I inherited for an open source software project, and I don't want to go experimenting if there is any chance somebody knows a simple way to just restore all SMF group permissions to virgin.

Deaks

Deprecated, I have marked this as solved if you need further help please let us know what you have tried since your last post.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Deprecated

That's fine, it's solved. I've contained and treated the problem and there are no more issues.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: