News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Trouble upgrading

Started by Skuzzy, February 17, 2015, 11:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skuzzy

Well, I think it might be trouble.  I ran this upgrade on a test server and it went fine (took 12 hours).  So I am now running it on a production server and it appears to have stalled at 62%/70% (18 hours into the process).
Creating "group_moderators" table...done
Altering attachment table...done
Adding file hash...done
Populate the attachment extension...done
Updating thumbnail attachments JPG...done
Updating thumbnail attachments PNG...done
Calculating attachment mime types...done
Creating "approval_queue" table...done
Adding approved column to attachments table...done

The last line being the last output.  When I look at the MySQL connections, I am showing 5 connections, when there should only be two (4 of them show to be to smf database).  Two of the four connections are running and dieing at about 5 second intervals.  Two others are showing to be rather permanent and are just incrementing time, without any associated commands.

smf_boards is the last table showing an update time and that was about an hour ago, from the time of this post.  This table got a time stamp update just a few minutes ago.  It appears this table is getting touched every 20 minutes, according to the "Update Time" (9:46, 10:06, 10:26...)

Oops:  The current operation shows: Executing: "Adding Post Moderation." (13 of 42 - of this script)

Should I kill the browser and start upgrade.php again?  If I do, will it be able to pick up where it left off, or should I start all over again from the backups?  Or, is there another option I am not covering?

Any ideas?  Thoughts?

Skuzzy

Well, I had to make the executive decision, so I shut down the browser and restarted, letting upgrade.php pick up where it thought it left off.  According to the script it had been two hours since the script had run.

Hopefully, it all works out.  Just in case, I started a fresh update on the previous text server (updated with the latest database after the board was shut down). 

Going to be down much longer than we hoped, but hopefully one of these upgrades completes and works afterwards.  Just wish I knew what was causing the issue.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's been my experience that upgrade.php will successfully complete an interrupted database upgrade, but that would depend on how/why the initial attempt failed.  Hopefully you got a good backup before you started.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Skuzzy

I had backups.  No problem there.  Nevre could figure out why the upgrade stalled.  I just allowed it to complete on the test server and migrated everything over to the production server.  Seems to be fine.

I would mark this as solved, but still not sure why it hung where it did.

Sir Osis of Liver

May have just timed out.  If you're on a shared server and it's overloaded, script will run slow and server will terminate it, typically around 30 sec., iirc.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Skuzzy

It is our server and very dedicated to running just the forums.  The test server is much, much slower than the production one and while it took over 10 hours to complete the upgrade, it did complete it.

I just had no more time to debug this as we were down.

margarett

@Krash: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=533314.0

While we KNOW that the upgrade tool has been used on million+ forums, I can't find a reason for it to fail in some (whatever they are) circumstances...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: