Moving forum from one host to another

Started by badjack777, February 18, 2015, 05:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badjack777

I need to move my forum from Go Daddy hosting to a new hosting server and I don't know what is involved. Is this difficult? I have already downloaded all my files and made backups of the database using phpmyadmin. Could someone please tell me the steps i need to take to successfully move the forum and configure it correctly?

Also, I only use a database for the Simple Machine forum, and during the database backup I backed up two files. One file is called information_schema.sql. The other file looks like the main database file. Is the information_schema.sql file necessary?

Thanks

badjack777

I found the instructions for moving the forum to a new host, but I am now having trouble importing the database files using phpmyadmin. Does anyone know if SMF uses more than one database file? I have two files and one is named information_schema.sql. I had trouble importing this file because it contained CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE statements that caused errors. Is this sql file only used during the first installation? Would like to not deal with it..... I am using SMF 2.0.5
Thanks

margarett

No, that's not SMF's database.
If you are unsure which database your forum is using, check the file Settings.php, you'll find that info there ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

badjack777

Thank You! Got everything moved and configured correctly. Site and forum works great!

I was hosting my site on Go Daddy hosting, and paid in advance for 2 years hosting. Had problems with lag and response time when viewing my site using my Samsung smartphone on Verizon network. I called Go Daddy tech support several times over the past 2 years, but we never could figure out what the problem was. I was always told by the tech that the problem must be on my end because the site works fine on their end. I just lived with it for the past 2 years. They suggested I upgrade to their new cPanel hosting and that should solve the problem. Well, I did upgrade to their cPanel Ultimate shared hosting plan, but the problem was still there and the lag was even worse. I canceled the upgrade and moved everything to hxxp:biz.nf [nonactive] free web hosting, but I was forced to upgrade to their Personal hosting plan because may database exceeded the size limit for free hosting. I paid $9.99 for 1 year hosting on hxxp:biz.nf [nonactive], and the website works great! I am very happy with the performance! I saved over $70 going with hxxp:biz.nf [nonactive] instead of Go Daddy. Sorry, I am not trying to advertize one hosting company over another; I am just very happy to have a working website.

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

TnABassFun

ok so I am totally new to managing forum boards and more so configuring them. I am moving from Hostica over to GoDaddy and need to make my forum board work with godaddy. Can anyone give me the simple version rundown on this? I am also using their website builder instead of the more traditional Dreamweaver.

Thank you,

Angel

margarett

How do I move my SMF forum to a different host?
Should cover most of what you need.

The website builder is totally unrelated to SMF ;) That allows you to create your own custom pages but it won't deal with the forum

Advertisement: