Updating from 1.1.20 --> 2.0 vs 2.1

Started by dxyy, February 19, 2015, 05:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dxyy

Currently running 1.1.20 which apparently is in sunset mode, whatever that means.

Upgrading to something else is going to be extremely painful given all the edits I've made over the years plus the mods that I'm running.

What is the difference between 2.0 and 2.1? What are your recommendations about how I should proceed? It's too bad that we're probably going to lose lots of information once we update since some of the mods we use are no longer supported and porting them over to 2.0 or 2.1 is probably impossible (too challenging for novices like me). Perfect example would be felblog, which I can actually no longer find in the modifications packages here after searching :(

After doing some additional reading while writing this, it seems as though 2.0 is the way to go since apparently 2.1 is a beta version? Has anyone else successfully upgraded from 1.1.20 to 2.something? How did you do it, and what advice do you have for someone about to take the leap?

Thanks!

Kindred

Upgrading is fairly simple.  See the wiki/manual for specific instructions...

As for 2.1... It is beta 1 right now we do not recommend using any beta versions on a production site, unless you are VERY comfortable with debugging and fixing code directly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dxyy

Haha, I am VERY uncomfortable with debugging and fixing code directly, so will definitely avoid 2.1 for now.

While trying to upgrade some blog platform software I discovered I'm not running the latest stable versions of PHP or MySQL.

That software requires PHP 5.3 and after speaking with my tech support of my webhost provider, they asked me the following questions:

In order for us to move you over to the correct server I'll need to know two things.

1. I seen you need `PHP` 5.3 but does it specify if you need a certain minor version? (5.3.27 or 5.3.28)

2. Do you know if you need a certain version of MySQL?

So, does SMF have some specific requirements with respect to these?

This is what I found in the online manual:
Windows, Linux or another Unix based operating system.
GNU Aspell 0.50 or higher (with appropriate dictionaries) for spell checking functionality.
Apache 2.0.x or above with AcceptPathInfo set to On for queryless URL support.
PHP 5.2.0 or higher, with the following set in your php.ini file:
max_input_time set to a value of at least 30.
post_max_size and upload_max_filesize set to the size of the largest attachments you wish to be able to upload.
memory_limit set to at least 8M.
max_execution_time set to at least 15.
register_globals set to Off.
session.use_trans_sid set to Off.
safe mode disabled, or PHP suExec enabled.
BCMath library enabled for using the OpenID registration method.
mod_security disabled (please see Mod security for more information)
Database Support
MySQL 5.0 or higher if using MySQL and PHP MySQL client API 5.0 or higher.
PostgreSQL 8.3.3 or higher if using PostgreSQL (standard_conforming_strings must be set to off, starting from PostgreSQL 9.1 default is on).
SQLite 2.8 if using SQLite.
GD Graphics Library 2.0 or higher.

Should I just forward this to tech support, or are there other recommendations?

Thanks!

Kindred

Those are the requirements....

However, if your host is still running anything below php5.3, then they are being insecure...

I would actually recommend php5.4 or even php5.5 actually, since even php5.3 is reaching the end of life,,
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

Quote from: dxyy on February 20, 2015, 05:29:40 PM
Thanks for your advice; I'll go for PHP 5.5.

if you go wiith php 5.5, it will break your smf 1 forum. I would upgrade to 5.4 stable version first, then once you have upgraded your forum to 2.0.9, move to 5.5.

Advertisement: