phpbb2 to SMF w/ Two different database servers

Started by Sully, October 17, 2005, 01:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sully

Ok..

Well ive read as much as i could before making this post, in an attempt to resolve my issue without creating a new thread. But none of the issue seems to address the issues im having.

To start..

I have fully functional installations of phpbb2 (2.0.10) and SMF (1.0.5). The current webhost im working with, does not allow for multiple databases within one "name.domain.com". So everytime you install a forum/gallery etc, you have to create a NEW db, with a new "[email protected]".

Issue:

I seen post that if the same username/pass is present in two different databases, access to such is possiable for the conversion. Well up to now, it hasnt successfully worked for me. Im left with..

QuoteSorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

below, both directory lines say "This looks like the right path." which i verified, and they are correct.

Ive also seen people attempts to create an additional phpbb install in the same db as the SMF, but in my case, the host prevent multiple db in 1 server.

So...

The only thing i can think of preventing me from successfully converting from phpbb2 to SMF, is the different db on diff. SQL Servers..

ANYBODY, thats has any input, or expertise, your help would be grealty appreciated. Because as of now, im ******-out-of-luck.. And im sooo tired of the phpbb crapola, and would love to transfer over.

Regards,
Sully

Sully

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=41458.0

Is this a possibility? Could someone explain the exact placement of which files, and where? Thanks..

Sully

sallymander

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

below, both directory lines say "This looks like the right path." which i verified, and they are correct.

I'm getting the same error.  But I'm really not very smart about all this.  Can someone help?????
Sally

sallymander

I'm getting this too:
The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user: 'hssports_smf1@localhost' for table 'phpbb_users'

I really don't know what to do.....
:D

Sally

Oldiesmann

You need to add the smf user to the phpBB database. Go into cPanel, click on MySQL databases and look for "Add user To Db" near the bottom. Select the user from the first list and the database from the second one, then click the button.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

sallymander

:'( okay...
now I got the error:
Caused the error:
Converting ranks... Successful.
Converting groups... Successful.
Converting members... Unsuccessful!

<then a bunch of listings of members and info>

Unknown column 'pm_email_notify' in 'field list'

Can you help???

Oldiesmann

If you want to convert to SMF 1.0.5, you'll need the converter from the "Tools and Converters" section on the download page.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

sallymander

Advertisement: