Posts often time out and don't go through but the rest of forum loads normal

Started by wynnyelle, February 20, 2015, 12:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

You can browse the forum but the posts get stuck. They usually turn up 10 or 20 minutes later. What could be causing this and where should I begin to look? Usually the posts get a 405 gateway timeout message.  Then even though it looks like it failed, it will still show up many minutes later. Sometimes this happens and other times the forum is fine. The forum is not crashing, it just decides that posts will get stuck. This is new threads, too, not only replies.

It always happens to everyone at once, not just some people getting stuck and others okay. then all the posts appear suddenly and things seem normal again. This happens usually at least once or twice a day. There doesn't seem to be a particular time when it happens.

wynnyelle

It just happened again.

The forum loads fine during this, but posts and threads don't go through at all.

Burke ♞ Knight

What web host are you using?

Are you using the latest version of SMF?
Any Mods installed?
Any errors in the error logs? Apache, PHP, SMF?

wynnyelle

Dedicatedbox.us host. The problem is only on one site as far as I know {I have two sites and it's the smaller one having problems, not the bigger one} and there's never been a problem with this host regarding this stuff in he years I've been with them. The problem does not lie with my host at all.

We are running the latest version yes.

Mods are installed, and some custom work.

There are 14,110 errors in the log.

LiroyvH

You're probably best off contacting the developer to resolve the errors in the code.
Your servers themselves are doing fine (which is probably also why it only affects one website).

I'm afraid it'll be hard for people to help you out here as there are so many modifications and code changes on your website, including some bugs that a normal SMF install will probably not encounter as it's custom code, that might have an effect on this behavior.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

wynnyelle

Oh, hello Core. :) Yeah...tried that...I brought it up to him several times and he has been unable to figure out the problem, unfortunately. This led me to believe that maybe it is something that someone on this entire forum has encountered before, so I figured I'd give this place a try just to start troubleshooting it and pointing myself in the right direction. I've no idea what kind of code would cause posting on the forum to hang up and 504 out, but the rest of the site to remain fast-loading and fully browsable the whole time.

I know that because it's only affecting one site, and the smaller one at that, that it is unrelated to the servers. I never doubted their ability for one second.

wynnyelle

It's happening more now. Very often it will lock up for most of the time during the evenings. My site is slowly slipping away out of usability and nobody I've spoken to has any idea why. My programmer seems unable to deal with it either.

Night09

What are the errors in the log, are they all the same or different ones? If you post some it may help people to work out whats up.

wynnyelle

Thank you for replying!

Loads of answers, but getting THIS one a lot:

http://xanje.com/index.php?topic=63642.msg3141825
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Undefined index: 7
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/xanje/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php
Line: 403

It happens on seemingly random threads.

Saxon044

I'm not sure if it will help, but I had a problem that sounds just like this. It appeared right after I installed several anti-spam mods in January. Akismet was the last mod I uninstalled before the problem cleared.

Night09

Attach a copy of Display.template.php here then it can be looked at to see if it is faulty or its just related to another error.

Advertisement: