News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Time off by 12 minutes

Started by RudiJan, February 20, 2015, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RudiJan

I am moving to a new host w/o too much difficulty but the forum time was off by 11 minutes(so not a timezone problem) and new registrations (admin approval) are not being sent. As well repair_settings would not save.

Thinking that I might have messed up something or other I did a fresh install of SMF 2.0.9 with the install default database to see whether the move was the reason for these problems. I noticed that the time displayed on the new install is still off by a little over 11 minutes. I checked the host info and the time on the host server (America/California) is accurate. Obviously changing time zones isn't going to help as they increment in hours, not minutes. Any ideas?

The repair tool now works so that all good. But the registration process still fails to notify the admin of a new registrant via e-mail.

from the error log:

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 96.54.6.249   
   Reverse chronological order of list Today at 02:40:25 PM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 63b5ba7f4e87b05d4f9f515cb12fa41f
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General 
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://freedomportal.net/forum_clean/index.php?action=register2Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same messageUnable to send mail to the email address '[email protected]'

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Guest
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 96.54.6.249   
   Reverse chronological order of list Today at 02:40:25 PM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 63b5ba7f4e87b05d4f9f515cb12fa41f
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General 
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://freedomportal.net/forum_clean/index.php?action=register2Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message2: mail() has been disabled for security reasonsApply Filter: Only show the errors from this fileFile: /home/fauxworl/public_html/freedomportal.net/forum_clean/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 765 

br360

The server time being off by that amount of time, is definitely a host issue. Submit a ticket and let them know, as it should be an easy fix on their end.

If you take a look at error number two it shows that your mail has been disabled for security reasons. Not sure if your email needs to be authenticated first, but that is something that your host should be able to help you with as well.

rosqa

LiroyvH

Slightly odd to disable that, but you can use SMTP instead if they refuse to whitelist the feature.
The time indeed is a host issue, unless you have weird stuff in either .htaccess or a custom php.ini.
It's usually seen on VPS server (namely OpenVZ) when the node has an offset due to not properly synchronizing hwclock.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

RudiJan

I already mentioned the time thing to the host on an earlier ticket (up to a dozen already )  ::) which will remained unnamed - for now.  :-X

They also had phpmail turned off so I reset the mail settings to smtp, no SSL

It all works on my test clean install but I get this error on admin approval mail:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 550 "REJECTED - Bad HELO - Host impersonating [linux-.xxxx.xxxxxx.xx]"

Guess I should take that problem to another topic. I'll report back on the time issue.

青山 素子

You'll probably need to contact the owner of the mail server you are using. It sounds like they don't have their mail agent set up correctly to match DNS.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Deaks

RudiJan, I have marked this as solved as you have not gotten back to us since your last post if you need further help please let us know what you have tried.  Thanks
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: