Has anyone ever created a custom ban page?

Started by Biology Forums, February 24, 2015, 12:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

If you have, let's see them.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

A ban page that doesn't look like the typical ban message.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

because a whole page is more bandwidth than a simple message - obviously.
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

ok.... then, the question remains... why bother?
Слaва
Украинi

Burke ♞ Knight

No, the question remains:

Quote from: Shuban on February 24, 2015, 12:22:12 AM

If you have, let's see them.

If the person wants it, and there's nothing other than bandwidth being the issue, I do not see why have to keep on asking what's the point? The point is, the OP wants it.

Burke ♞ Knight

Possible good reasons to do this:

1. A page explaining the possible reasons for being banned.

2. A page with a way to contact to appeal the ban.

3. A page to force banned people to go to that does not have anything else, like portal blocks.

Matthew K.

I completely agree. Why does it matter, if that's what they want, and they understand what it does.

I have completed something similar - Redirect Banned Users modifies what is shown to the user. It shows them a message temporarily telling them how long their ban is left for, and then redirects them to whatever URL you enter. If they're permanently banned, it doesn't bother rendering anything of the forum. Very similar.

What are you wanting to put there exactly?

Biology Forums

I noticed your mod, Lab360. It's nice, but not quite I need. In fact, I don't know what I want lol I was hoping to get inspired by what others have done in the past, but no one has provided an example. I also did a Google image search for 'forum ban messages' and most, if not all, are plain-Jane. What do Xenforo forums and IPboards display to the banned member?

Burke ♞ Knight

On my sites, I just used a portal block with a message:

If you can see this,
it means your account has been banned.

This is more likely a permanent ban,
due to abuse of our rules,
or because you are a low life spammer!

Abusers of our rules and spammers are not welcome here,
so do not bother coming back, and stay away from any respectable site.

Yes, I know, it's rather blunt, but since most that I'd ban are for spamming, it's very well suited.....LOL

Biology Forums

lol Nice.

What about the 'fatal_error' message found in the function that is displayed to banned members?

Burke ♞ Knight

That still shows, I'd imagine.
I just set permissions on everything else, to not show for banned membergroup.
When I ban someone, I place them into that group.
This also helps, as I could just set them to it, with 0 permissions, instead of doing a regular ban, which accomplishes the same thing, and yet does not slow the site down, as people say doing too many bans can do. So basically, making a group and not bans....LOL

WadaNon

I did one around a year ago. Given my board's history of people brewing drama for brownie points, I had to do something as offensive as their attempts to start drama.

The page is still active despite the picture taken a year ago (some layout changes and stuff).

I'm linking it offsite due to some offensive imagery for some (and certain other things :P): https://i.imgur.com/s4J39T3.png (image in spanish)
No to support PMs and spam, yes to everything else :D

Biology Forums

@Burke

Great idea. Banning eats up a ton of resources

@Wada

I might also add a picture - probably not as vulgar as yours lol

Biology Forums

What are the advantages of banning a member versus placing them in a ban group?

Pros and cons, anyone?

Biology Forums

thanks illori, but what am i looking at ???

I believe banning is effective against IPs and recreating new memberships, where as if you're banning a username, putting them in a ban group is more effective.

br360

Illori

Quote from: Shuban on February 24, 2015, 01:22:07 PM
thanks illori, but what am i looking at ???

I believe banning is effective against IPs and recreating new memberships, where as if you're banning a username, putting them in a ban group is more effective.

banning users has more queries on it, so more stress to your server then putting the users in a ban group. also by banning an ip address you could ban users you dont mean to and not know that they got banned.

Advertisement: