Changing Default Email Address

Started by metallicgloss, February 26, 2015, 11:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicgloss

Hello,

I currently have an email address that is sending emails like activation emails, database warning emails but they all go straight to spam for me and other members.
How do I change it so it sends from an email address i already own and doesn't go to spam??
I have tried setting up the mail settings, the ones im editing can be found in Admin>Maintenance>Mail>Settings>Mail Type
Can someone help please.

Illori

admin -> server settings webmaster email address is where those emails go.

metallicgloss

Where would I find the server settings, I cannot find it. Is it under configuration??

Mortissimov

Administration Center » Server Settings » General

Here you can fint it. :)

metallicgloss

Ok, thank you. It is already set to my email address but the forums emails people using different email address.

margarett

Well, if you use PHP mail, it is likely that your server has a "predefined" email that overrides what you set in webmaster email...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

metallicgloss

margarett

Is SMF sending the emails with the address you set or with any other?

Is the email you set from the same domain as yours? (eg: you domain is www.domain.com and the email you set is [email protected])

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

metallicgloss

No,I own the domain EncryptedLaser.com [nofollow] and I have set the email up. I have also set up the mail server on the standard mail settings. It is sending the emails using a default domain that is something like linuxweb1.com [nofollow] or something like that, the issue is, is that email goes straight to spam for everyone.

margarett

Yes, with that settings that will happen...

You need to properly configure your mail server to respect the sender email PHP passes it. Then you need to make sure that your domain as properly set MX records (can you email yourself?)
That's really a server configuration problem, you should talk to your host about it...

metallicgloss

What do you means bout setting my mx records. The email on its own works fine but when I put the settings into the settings it ignores it and overrides the default email. If I were going to ask my host what would I ask as I have no idea why it does that.

margarett

You should try a simple PHP script (out of SMF) to send an email. Eg:
<?php

//Email information

$admin_email "[email protected]"//put here the same email as you have in SMF

$email '[email protected]'//put here the destination email (eg: a personal email account you have)

$subject 'Test email subject';

$comment 'Test email body';

//send email

mail($admin_email$subject$comment'From:' $email);

echo 
'done';
?>

And see if you receive the email.

metallicgloss

Ok, thanks. Could you help a bit again as I'm new to coding. Where would I put that code and what should I call the file?

margarett

You should put that code in a file named, eg, "test.php" and put it in your public_html folder. Then run it via browser --> www.yourdomain.com/test.php
It should just say "done"

Illori

for testing email i tend to use this script

<?php
$from_name 
"name";
$from_email "[email protected]";
$headers "From: $from_name <$from_email>";
$body "Hi, \nThis is a test mail from $from_name <$from_email>.";
$subject "Test mail from localhost";
$to "[email protected]";

if (
mail($to$subject$body$headers)) {
   echo 
"success!";
} else {
   echo 
"fail...";
}
?>

it works well for me, it also tells me if it is a success or failure.

metallicgloss

Ok, tried both codes and it sends. But it doesn't send via my set email, it sends from linuxweb1.nitrous-networks.com [nofollow]

Illori

then i would suggest you contact your host and ask them about it.

metallicgloss

metallicgloss

No luck, my host doesn't have any other ideas.

Illori

if your host cant figure out how to fix their config, then maybe time to move to another host.

Advertisement: