News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Users can't login when using www. of the site.

Started by yesdude88, February 27, 2015, 12:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesdude88

I am using smf 2.09 .
I want to force users to use my site with www.
I want this because my cloudflare is configured to be used with www.

Anyways, when using www. , I notice that users can't login for some reason. The error just says "wrong user/password".

Anybody else have this problem with www.?

Thank you

Kindred

ugh... cloudflare causes LOTS of problems (and is, basically useless anyway)

However -- what do you have your forum configured to use as the actual URL? Is the www there?

If so, then you can use htaccess to force a redirect to the www version if someone accesses the plain domain

However, this is not a bug...   moving to support
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

yesdude88

Quote from: Kindred on February 27, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
ugh... cloudflare causes LOTS of problems (and is, basically useless anyway)

However -- what do you have your forum configured to use as the actual URL? Is the www there?

If so, then you can use htaccess to force a redirect to the www version if someone accesses the plain domain

However, this is not a bug...   moving to support

Right now, the site is setup for non www.

I will turn cloudflare off and see if the www. login works.

Why is cloudflare useless? I used it on most of my wordpress sites and it saves a lot of bandwidth and supposedly makes the sites load up faster.. I think it's good to have.
Thank you for your help

margarett

First you need to access your forum with www and use repair_settings with that URL. Make sure ALL URLs include the www

SMF will redirect users automagically if they don't use the www. It won't disallow access, though (eg: the user DOES access your forum without www, SMF detects it and redirects them to www
If you want to do that at server level, then you need htaccess as Kindred says.

Please, let's not debate Cloudflare's usefulness, ok? ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

yesdude88

Quote from: margarett on February 27, 2015, 12:57:57 PM
First you need to access your forum with www and use repair_settings with that URL. Make sure ALL URLs include the www

SMF will redirect users automagically if they don't use the www. It won't disallow access, though (eg: the user DOES access your forum without www, SMF detects it and redirects them to www
If you want to do that at server level, then you need htaccess as Kindred says.

Please, let's not debate Cloudflare's usefulness, ok? ;)

Thanks for reply.

I am still not sure why users see the forum with .www but they can't login.

Anyways, I went to configuration, server settings, database and paths, and under Forum URL...I simply added in the www. in front of my domain.

And now all users are redirected to www. and they can login now. Kind of weird.

It's all good now, thank you all for quick reply.

margarett

Use repair_settings the same way. There are other (many other!) URLs that need to be fixed ;)
What is repair_settings.php?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: