News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to Copy Forum Stucture / Duplcate to another domain?

Started by SaltedWeb, February 27, 2015, 04:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltedWeb

I was wondering how I can take my existing forum I just built ( no members) and duplicate it for another forum on another domain. They would have the same content, but not the same members, logo. They will have the same categories and look.
I need to do this as one would be statewide and one local. I could just create two SMF sites. But would be easier if there is a way to copy the site I have now to work on another site.

There is a new Mod Split Forum, but the specs like different logo and not the same members wouldnt work.
I found it did not work well with SP even after it was originally install so I need a different approach.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SaltedWeb

Hi there,
Right I would need two, but wanted to move the same content and structure to another forum.

Say xyz123.com take it and have a similar look and content on 1235678.com .
But tow installs yes I will be doing that . Just wondered if what I am doing has been tried successfully and how,

Thanks
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Kindred

So...   set it up, then copy the database to the second installation location and use repair_settings.php to change the connection, path and url details
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SaltedWeb

Really thats all there is too it ?   ;D
I didn't realize the repair would allow the domain change. 8)

Thanks Kindred, never had to use the repair in all these years didnt even know it would do that.
Another day I learned something new about SMF.

Thanks again .

Advertisement: