News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

autobots trouble

Started by mittal, March 01, 2015, 12:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittal

hello

i am facing problem in my site.autobots from russia,china are keep registering in my site and posting spam topics.i enabled captcha and 1 question in registeration page.but they keep registering my site and spaming with crap topics.

how can i stop them?i am using 2.0.9 software. help plz.

mittal

i enabled email verification then also autobots posting crap topics.

Arantor

margarett

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I read "Autobots" in the topic subject

;D

Just to complete a bit what Arantor said: if you read some recent topics (search "spam") you will see that it's a recurrent issue. Not only in SMF, everywhere.

Email registration is useless against spam bots for years. Captcha is more difficult to beat for humans than it is for bots...
Your best bet is to use, as has being said, a pool of 10-20 verification questions, and ask 3 of them to be answered when registering. This way SMF will pick 3 random.
Everything else you need to know is in the link Arantor gave you ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mittal

i enabled all 3 antispam mods which described in arantor link.but it is not helpful to me.bots are still registering my site and posting topics

see http://forum.chillncheers.com

a10

Quotehow can i stop them?
Definitely not by using -1- question (maybe ok if it was changed 3 times a day :O). Search my posts for hints on type of questions that has been working great here for many years. & forget the captcha, bots drive right trough it.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

margarett

What is the color of the sky is really not a good question... And I said 3 questions of a pool of 10+ questions.
Also note: if your spammers are already registered, then they can always post. Make sure you delete any existing spammer account.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mittal

is it ok now? if i put this as seen here.

mittal

how to delete all spam members together.i got about 100 members who are autobots.

margarett

Don't you have Decepticons also? :P :P :P
Sorry, couldn't resist ;D

If you go to your ACP, there's the "administrator member list"
index.php?action=admin;area=viewmembers;sa=all

There you can mark each account you wish to remove (you can mark several at once) and delete all selected accounts with a single button ;)

a10

Quoteis it ok now?

Better, now make 10+ questions. Then enable 3 of them in "Number of verification questions user must answer" = a random combination of questions each time someone register, makes life hard for the bots.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Illori

Quote from: margarett on March 01, 2015, 06:21:44 AM
If you go to your ACP, there's the "administrator member list"
index.php?action=admin;area=viewmembers;sa=all

There you can mark each account you wish to remove (you can mark several at once) and delete all selected accounts with a single button ;)

keep in mind that does not remove their posts/topics at the same time.

mittal

Quote from: a10 on March 01, 2015, 06:46:09 AM
Quoteis it ok now?

Better, now make 10+ questions. Then enable 3 of them in "Number of verification questions user must answer" = a random combination of questions each time someone register, makes life hard for the bots.

i maked 10 questions but it only shows 3 questions in registeration page.i enabled 3 questions that member must answer.

there should be 10 questions in registeration page instead 3?

see http://forum.chillncheers.com/index.php?action=register

Arantor

No, it shows 3 out of the ten at random. This is a good thing.

mittal

Quote from: Arantor on March 03, 2015, 01:03:35 AM
No, it shows 3 out of the ten at random. This is a good thing.

thank you.

how autobots verifying their emails? email verification is still on in my site then also they registers.

looks like autobots are getting more intelligent from before in registering.

margarett

Spam bots are computer programs. So they can easily check an email account ;)

mittal

thank you everybody.i put 10 questions and eneabled 3 questions.seems like this working fine.

but i am still confused that a new member will be able to answer the questions or not? i have asked so much easy questions for them but i am still confuse.

Kindred

if you have designed your questions well - a real person will be able to answer them, but a bot will not.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: