News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Moved server, but now threads show headers, but no articles ...

Started by valis1952, March 02, 2015, 03:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valis1952

Members can post, also. The new titles show but the articles are empty and previous articles are missing too.

Any ideas?

Incidentally, member avatars are missing too ...

Chas Large

Have you corrected the paths from old server to new?

Repair Settings is your friend ;D
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

valis1952

I have changed all the paths and run repair_settings.

Could it be my database which is corrupted?

Illori

can you provide a link so we can take a look at what is going on?

margarett

Hu, that's strange...

Can you go to phpmyadmin, to your SMF database, SQL tab and write the following:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM smf_messages
WHERE id_topic = 1875

It should return a count of 5, according to your topic information...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

valis1952

I get:

"#1146 - Table 'valis_rrefuge.smf_messages' doesn't exist"

I see that's not right ;)

Kindred

it would seem that not everything was transferred to your new host.   Your database is missing tables.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

valis1952

No kidding? ;)

Unfortunately, my host unilaterally transferred before I was ready - I'd just made an enquiry - and was about to consult this forum.

So I haven't got a back up, etc, etc.

I'm sort of hoping my host does ...

Depressing  :'(

However, I note that when I "Reply" to a thread, previous items show up in full as "Topic Summary".

margarett

Wait... Maybe it's not "smf_messages". You can have other prefix different from "smf_"
Check your tables list, do all tables start with "smf_"?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

valis1952

Okay.

My database files are prefixed "rr" so I tried this:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM rr_messages
WHERE id_topic = 1875

I got this:

COUNT(*)

margarett

Ah :) Better :)

So the table is there and the content too.

At this point I would say that you should try to duplicate your database and put up a duplicate forum, this time using a clean set of files (so that we can rule out issues with the php files)

valis1952

Sorry to have to ask, but how do I do that?

Just copy everything to a forumTEMP folder?

Or install SMF to forumTEMP? Then use the current database?

margarett

First you duplicate your database. You need to do that in cPanel or phpmyadmin. If unsure, ask your host for help, they can do it in 20 seconds with the command line.

Then you create a different folder. Eg: if your forum is http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php then you need to create (via FTP or File Manager) a folder "forum2" under public_html which will result in http://iradioforum.net/forum2.
Inside that board you:
- load the "large upgrade" package for 2.0.9
- remove the upgrade* files
- copy Settings.php and Settings_bak.php from "forum" to "forum2"
- upload repair_settings What is repair_settings.php?
- run repair_settings and fix database name (should point to the duplicate you or your host made) and all paths and URLs from "forum" to "forum2" (repair_settings should suggest it all). Save
- remove repair_settings

Now you have a duplicate instance of your forum, yet running with clean SMF files. If things work fine in the duplicate, there's something wrong with your forum files...

valis1952

Okay. That worked. It took a little jiggling of files, but I'm back to 100% functionality. Lost a couple of mods, but that's okay.

Many thanks!!!

margarett

Glad it worked out for you. You can reinstall these MODs now ;)
Don't forget to backup your "current" forum as it is working ;)

Good luck!

Advertisement: