LOTS of smileys support

Started by 420Connect.co.uk, March 03, 2015, 07:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

420Connect.co.uk

Ahh! I've pretty much broken my forum after attempting to use a stupid amount of smileys..

can I reset my smileys from the database or something?  :'(

Help urgently needed and very much appreciated!

Update:

I've since managed to remove all my smileys via the database :D

I've found when I add more than a certain number I seem to lose all content from posts etc? :S very strange
would anyone happen to know of a good way to handle a huge range of smileys to choose from?

(around 2000)

Many thanks
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

Bigguy

Why would you need 2000 smileys. No one is ever going to be able to pick from all that. Anyway, there was a mod a while ago called lots of smileys but I doubt it would even be able to put that many in your forum....why would you need that many.... ??

br360

Bigguy

Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten about that post. :)

Kindred

which brings back my point in that thread.

Anything more than 1000 (maybe 1500) smilies is an edge case, IMO and won't ever be supported in terms of displaying nicely.
2000+ will definitely break the system -- we just have not gotten the enforced limit into the code yet.

So, basically, 420...   don't do it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

I guess it's good for me this came up since I have nearly 800 smileys on my forum. Please don't ask why, I'm not going to answer. They're all used at one time or other so I'm not dumping them.

It's good to know there's a limit ... that would never have occurred to me. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

420Connect.co.uk

Thank you for all the replies everyone!

After reading through the other thread, I see I won't be able to have as many as I'd first liked..
(although am I right in thinking this could be changed, to allow that many, with a bit of tweaking?)

I plan to only have a small selection on display with the majority hidden away in the pop-up..

Ideally I'd like to use tabs or something in the pop-up too, but found the MOD's that offered this were well-outdated :(
(specially to separate different 'styles')

I've currently got around 1030 up and working without any faults and could maybe get a few hundred more, like Kindred said, I think around about 1500 is when the problems begin, so I'm being cautious for now :P
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

Steve

Since I can't ask in the thread br360 referenced, I'll have to ask it here.

Would the smileys uploaded to a fully hook media gallery like say, just as an example, Levertine Gallery, count towards this total of max smileys?

Illori

i dont think so, as they are not using the SMF function for smileys and appear in the area above a new topic or full reply window.

Rk2910

Quote from: Steve on March 04, 2015, 08:54:40 AM
I guess it's good for me this came up since I have nearly 800 smileys on my forum. Please don't ask why, I'm not going to answer. They're all used at one time or other so I'm not dumping them.

It's good to know there's a limit ... that would never have occurred to me. :)

I counted the ones on my site this morning and I have over 200 - only have them because I can, I guess.  Trying to please the masses.  I could probably delete the ones I know haven't been used yet but.....
I don't like posting on a few of the sites I frequent that have maybe 15 and none are the ones I need to use to express myself.  I end up posting the code that I would use on a site that supported my emoticon like :shrug:

Arantor

The number isn't fixed - 1500 is a decent enough sane value but if you have longer smiley filenames it can break at lower numbers.

420Connect.co.uk

Quote from: Arantor on March 05, 2015, 04:40:25 PM
The number isn't fixed - 1500 is a decent enough sane value but if you have longer smiley filenames it can break at lower numbers.

Thanks for the info Pete!

I'll likely rename my files eventually to squeeze some more in at some point, but I recently looked up how to bulk rename things for something else recently..

for anyone looking to do this:

(windows)
select all the files you'd like to rename
right click on the first item and click 'rename'
enter the new name (e.g. "a")
then hit enter.

This will rename all your files...
in my example of "a" it would look like:
a(1), a(2), a(3), a(4) etc.

* also, if you end up with 2 of the same name, - It's because you have different file types of smiley.
(e.g.   a(1).png and a(1).gif )

;)

Steve

Or use Bulk Rename Utility. Bit of a learning curve on it but worth it imo. :)

Kindred

Do note... files for use on the web really should not use parens...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

As per http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-2 parentheses are legal and will not be %-encoded in transit. Wikipedia uses them a lot, SMF permits them in url bbcode tags too.

Advertisement: