Linking different forums through third party interface What could the issues be?

Started by DenDen60, March 05, 2015, 07:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

Dougiefresh as develop a good MOD to split forums using one instance and one member database.  It is good and I will be using it where the same members can be users of both boards.

Dougiefresh also tried to develop a way where there would be a synchronizations for members from one main instance of SMF to other instances as members logs to one another. Unfortunately, a few issues arose and the mod is still not complete. Furthermore, if different instances are on different servers, it will  become problematic.

New approach

I think the following approach would be less problematic. 

Instead of connecting different instances of SMF to a main SMF instance, I think  that creating a third party interface to which SMF instances could be linked would be a better answer and give me more flexibility later on.

Users would first create their profile. Once their profile are made, users could then connect to the forums of their choice and a MOD would transfer their profile information to SMF. They would thus be connected to the forum without having to reregister. (Most users would connect to 3 to 5 different forums. )

The interface would include a database of all the users and their profile, including their avatar, as well as the list of the forum they have used and register.

What problems could occur if I used a third party interface to connect to SMF?  See attachments for more details.

DenDen60

The only real problem i see is security wise. When a users logs in to the third party interface and then wants to connect to one of the forums.

How can the information exchanged through the MOD be secured. Is this problematic or is it a no brainer and I should not worry about this?

Night09

Use SSL to connect to each one then from a forum point its safe. Same as any mod function called from outside SMF.

DenDen60

Quote from: Night09 on March 06, 2015, 07:41:50 AM
Use SSL to connect to each one then from a forum point its safe. Same as any mod function called from outside SMF.

Thanks for your comment Night09. Any other issues that you see could arisie as I develop this 3rd party software ?

Thanks
Denis

Advertisement: