Easy to install/set-up mobile or responsive template

Started by Pudders, March 08, 2015, 12:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudders

Hi,

My knowledge of smf and php is very basic but I am trying to create a mobile version of my forum and have the following questions:

1. Am I best using a responsive or mobile theme (various websites and posts offer different benefits/cons for both).

2. would this change the look/layout of my forum on a pc?  I've spent ages customizing my forum and would like it to look the same on desktops/pcs.  I have had a look on the forum and it seems I should allow people to choose a theme for phones or pc etc but how would members/visitors know to change this or does it auto-detect what they are using?

Sorry if these are basic or obvious questions. I have had a search of the forum and also checked online but cannot find this information.

Thanks for any help.

Gwenwyfar

1: Depends on your community, but for most cases, yes. A lot of people use the internet through mobile devices today, so you'd let them use your forum nicely as well (though some might just read in it). There are no cons if it is well made.

2: No, if the theme is well done it will not change a thing on desktop version.

But if you get a new theme that is adaptive you'll probably have to redo any customization you've made. An alternative would be to create your own, but that would require at least some basic knowledge of css. Or maybe get something
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Deaks

Pudders I have marked this solved as its been 2 weeks with no further questions if you have more on this topic please ask :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: