News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Shouldn't Totally Useless Support Topics Be Deleted?

Started by Steve, March 17, 2015, 09:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I'm talking about ones like this one:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=534778.0

I realize they won't stay on the first page of the topics list very long but when one is searching for an answer to a problem with say 'star images', they'll get all the responses in this thread in addition to the dozens or hundreds of others.

Deleting threads like this would eliminate at least some of the threads one would have to check to see if their problem is addressed.

Just an idea.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Bigguy

It sounds like a great idea and should have been implemented awhile ago if you ask me.

Bigguy

margarett

Yeah, while you are correct in both cases, we really don't have a policy about removing user posts, except when they are totally spammy or trolling...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Irisado

Also, we'd be hypocrites if we were to delete totally useless Support Topics without also deleting the entire Chit Chat board ;).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Shambles

Last time I looked, Chit Chat wasn't in the Support Board section :P

Irisado

No, it's not, but it would be the principled thing to do, in order to be consistent after all :P ;).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Biology Forums

I agree with the OP. There are a lot of 'junk' threads that should be removed on a regular basis. For example, old paid requests that didn't get a reply.

The Factor

As a user..  I would total agree.  I would delete old post.  I would also expect you to delete accounts not logged into in about a year maybe sooner.   I would suggest the reason is you haven't talked about it and you should. This forum I would also suggest should be the model for reccomendations around these types of topics. 
Thanks,

Brent Dacus

Reading and learning still at 46..

Steve

Quote from: margarett on March 19, 2015, 12:59:52 PMYeah, while you are correct in both cases, we really don't have a policy about removing user posts, except when they are totally spammy or trolling...

That's why I brought it up. As I said in my original post, it would eliminate some useless search results (knowing full well that most people don't bother doing a search before posting a support question  ::) ). And you're in the thread anyway so what does it take to delete it? Two clicks and 3 or 4 seconds? :P

Quote from: The Factor on March 19, 2015, 03:28:09 PMI would delete old post.  I would also expect you to delete accounts not logged into in about a year maybe sooner.   I would suggest the reason is you haven't talked about it and you should. This forum I would also suggest should be the model for reccomendations around these types of topics.

I disagree that old accounts and old posts should be deleted. Again, if one does a search, most times the solution to one's problem can be easily found. That wouldn't be the case if your suggestions were implemented. A support forum by it's very nature has to be run differently than others.

And this thread was started with only the support boards in mind. ;D

ARG01

I agree that useless (not old) topics should be removed. However, with over 3.5 million posts in over 430,000 topics, this would be a full time job. I don't believe that anyone here is willing to take on the task to go through all posts and topics to determine which are useless and remove them.  ???
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Kindred

in short... and in general -- no. It's not worth the hassle of trying to figure out what's "worth keeping" and what is "useless"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

No no no ... I don't mean to go through what's already here ... it was just a suggestion for future posting. :)

Deaks

so they delete all your posts from now on?? :P

* Ρουνικ runs away
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: