News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Session verification error.

Started by OPR, March 18, 2015, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OPR

Hi, I'm not great at all this but our forum which has been running since 2008 has suddenly developed this error. It's fine as long as you do not log out, ever. If you try to log out you get "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

Now you are trying to log out so that makes no sense. The only way back in is to close the site, delete the smf & php cookies, open up the site and log in again. Log in produces a password error on first attempt so hitting enter again accepts the password.

I am not very good at hunting errors down.  :-\

operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php

Irisado

Which version of SMF are you using?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Illori

given the link they provided

Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC  |

which should be upgraded to 1.1.20, or 2.0.9 ASAP.

Night09

Check under Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > Cookies and Sessions (im not on 1.1.x so may be slightly different path) that Enable local storage of cookies, Use subdomain independent cookies, Force cookies to be secure are unchecked save the page and retry login and out.

Once this is resolved upgrade ASAP.

OPR

Thanks, I can't see "Force cookies to be secure are unchecked".

So you basically want this on the picture ticked? What about database sessions, ticked or unticked?

http://postimg.org/image/turb5yju1/ [nofollow]

Night09

Try untick the  : 'Use subdomain independent cookies' and leave the rest as it is. Save and try login/out. You might have to clear your cookies/cache.

"Force cookies to be secure"  May just be a 2.x feature.

OPR

Neither Sub domain or local cookies are ticked.

It doesn't make sense to me as this forum has been faultless until this problem started. We changed nothing, did nothing.

Night09

Its possible because your on such an old version the host has upgrades to PHP ect that your forums not happy with. Can you check if the host has made recent changes that may have caused this? Its best to upgrade ASAP ideally as this will eliminate some possible reasons.

OPR

Host upgraded to Ubuntu at the end of February, our problems started 9th March.

I tried updating the first step but got an error on the test Sources/Subs-Package.php    Test failed.
I am not knowledgeable enough to continue and don't even have a big enough data plan to back up the forum.

This patch file will update your forum to SMF 1.1.12.

Installations actions for "SMF 1.0.20 / 1.1.12 Update":
Installing this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Modification    ./index.php    Test successful
2.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/DumpDatabase.php    Test successful
3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManageSearch.php    Test successful
4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManageSmileys.php    Test successful
5.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/News.php    Test successful
6.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/PackageGet.php    Test successful
7.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs-Package.php    Test failed
8.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/babylon/Display.template.php    Test successful
9.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/classic/Display.template.php    Test successful
10.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/Admin.template.php    Test successful
11.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/Display.template.php    Test successful

Night09

The failed file likely has an edit from a mod that makes the installer unable to find the correct insert points.

You could look at manually adding the edits for that single file or depending on mods used now overwrite it manually with a fresh copy. (you may need to keep the original to put mod edits back or it may break mods)

OPR

To be truthful, I wouldn't know where to start looking. I inherited this website when the previous volunteer left and, until now, have had to do very little with it.
It is scattered between the smf forum, wordpress and the host.

I think we will need to find a volunteer that knows a lot more than I do to update the forum and track down this error. Thanks for trying anyway.  :-[

Illori

it is not that hard to upgrade to 2.0. this would also take care of any of these patch errors you are seeing now.

just do a good backup of your files and database and have at it.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

OPR

Thanks Illori but my eyes just glazed over reading that.  :o
I currently have a buggy but functioning forum. I don't want to end up with no forum so I'll have to find someone to do it for us.

OPR

Ok, the wonderful guy that built all our website etc has managed to get us up to version 1.1.20. He will update further when time permits.

The error remains.

The strange thing I noticed is I can log in and out as many times as I like with no error until I go into admin. Once I've been in admin if I try to log out I get the session verification error? Delete the smf & php cookie, log in and post etc as long as I stay away from admin.

This obviously isn't ideal as the global mods need to go in to add new members etc so I've had to turn on Disable administration security just so we can get in.

The only thing showing in the error log is hundreds of wrong password errors. Everyone has to hit enter twice, without changing the password, to log in.

Any other ideas from anyone? We're hoping upgrading to 2.0 will fix this but I have a bad feeling it won't.

Night09

If you upgrade to 2.0.9 all your mods will be gone. (forum fresh)

If you make a copy of the effected file then replace it with a fresh one from the 1.1.20 large upgrade pack and check again for update errors.  After upgrading all the files will be updated anyway to new versions and the database upgraded. 

Make a backup of both the forum files and the database before doing any upgrade to 2.0.9 as you cannot go back without significant work.

OPR

Thanks for the suggestions. Our forum is now  SMF 2.0.9 and the error appears resolved.

Night09

Quote from: OPR on March 27, 2015, 12:47:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Our forum is now  SMF 2.0.9 and the error appears resolved.

Glad you got it working, it may be wise to now make a backup before adding any mods so if something goes wrong you can roll back. ;)

OPR

All backed up and not modding until we are sure it is stable, thanks.

Advertisement: