Database, smf_members table question

Started by power505, March 20, 2015, 04:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

power505

Hello!

Today I tried to run two SMF 2.0.9 installations on one database.

Both forums are set up on two different table prefixes (smf1_ and smf2_). I've shared smf1_members table between them, and everything works fine. As my plan was, I managed to share members between forums, together with all of their passwords and other stuff.

Now I want to have different admins and global moderators on my forums, but smf1_members table have shared its id_group column (which stores primary groups ID's). So there are the same on both forums.

I want to share smf1_members on both forums, but I also want that my second forum checks and write id_groups column in smf2_members table. But I dont have a clue what file to edit in /sources directory. Can anybody help me?

Thank you

margarett

That's a dangerous setup :P

How did you "share" the members table, exactly?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

power505

I'm surprised that someone has even understand what I've wrote here :D

Quote from: margarett on March 20, 2015, 04:19:25 PM
That's a dangerous setup :P

How did you "share" the members table, exactly?

On my SMF2 forum I've edited all php files in /sources directory. Changed all "{db_prefix}members" in "smf1_members".

Kindred

That is a bad design that will lead to issues
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

power505

Kindred

The system is not intended to be split like that and sharing tables will cause issues... One of which you have alreayd encountered...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

For that to work, you need to have all the same groups on both, because the groups are stored in the members table.

Additionally, avatars won't work properly in that scenario if users upload them and fixing *that* is a massive nightmare.

Kindred

which is why the multi-domain/aka subforums mod is a better design
Слaва
Украинi

power505

Quote from: Arantor on March 21, 2015, 04:45:41 AM
For that to work, you need to have all the same groups on both, because the groups are stored in the members table.

Additionally, avatars won't work properly in that scenario if users upload them and fixing *that* is a massive nightmare.

Avatars are not problem, because they are disabled on my forum. External links only.

Can you explain me how can I do that with smf_membergroups table? I've tought that admin and GM groups are stored only in smf_members table.

Arantor

That's just it... only references from the members to groups are stored in the members table, not the groups themselves. You'd need to merge the membergroups table, the permissions tables... actually even the boards tables have this tied into them as well.

SMF is simply not designed, nor does it support, such messing around with it.

margarett

You can try this
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=532385.0

Warning/disclaimer: this is not a mod we know, reviewed or worked with: if you don't find the same "server constraints" as Dennis has, it should work for you.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

power505

Thank you all for your support.

For now I've gave up from this idea, because I don't want to screw something. However, my two forums with shared database forks fine by this date.

Advertisement: