Upgrading a SMF, Coppermine and TP site

Started by lady_l, March 21, 2015, 11:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady_l

Hi everyone,
I have a very slow internet connection this morning, taking forever to open any page, and I thought I'd ask if someone happens to know where to point me to a thread or info on my question:

My SMF forum is bridged with Coppermine. It is a 1.1.2 version of SMF, almost an antique, and I must upgrade it.
Do I need to un-bridge Coppermine, before upgrading SMF, and if I do this, will I lose my gallery?

Ideally I would like to keep the gallery, if no bridged with SMF,, I would like it to exist online independently, so I can link to it.

I am not asking anyone to bend over backwards, just a yes/no answer is fine! I will keep looking myself of course -- but i did not see anything about it last night in the docs.

Thanks in advance,
LL
"And we're vagabonds/we travel without seatbelts on/we live this close to death"

lurkalot

Yep, Un-bridge, then upgrade your SMF to version 2.0.9 then re-bridge using the SMF 2.x bridge in Coppermine.

margarett

1.1.2?! Oh my oh my...

You can try to patch upgrade each version until 1.1.20. If you don't get any errors in any of the patches you are in the latest 1.1.x version and you don't need to touch the bridge.

Anyway, my recommendation is also to upgrade to 2.0.x. For that lurkalot already posted good instructions ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

lurkalot

Sorry, that was me just assuming again, as 1.1.x is no longer supported.

But basically Coppermine comes with two SMF bridge files, one for 1.1.x and one for 2.0.x  So it's necessary to un-bridge before changing from one to another, then using the appropriate bridge file.

lady_l

Thanks, OK.

I have SMF 1.1.4 actually, made a typo there. All the same I do plan to use the "big" upgrade,  to 2.0.x

1.1.4 version worked perfectly all these years, no issues with it now or ever.

I just downloaded a backup file of the SMF database yesterday, After 8 years.... wow, about 2.5 million lines of code.

Hmm.... should I have unbridged it before doing the back up? 

Thanks in advance,
L.
"And we're vagabonds/we travel without seatbelts on/we live this close to death"

lurkalot

Quote from: lady_l on March 21, 2015, 03:30:46 PM
Thanks, OK.

I have SMF 1.1.4 actually, made a typo there. All the same I do plan to use the "big" upgrade,  to 2.0.x

1.1.4 version worked perfectly all these years, no issues with it now or ever.

I just downloaded a backup file of the SMF database yesterday, After 8 years.... wow, about 2.5 million lines of code.

Hmm.... should I have unbridged it before doing the back up? 

Thanks in advance,
L.

Well, it's not the end of the world, you could take a look at your Coppermine database in phpMyAdmin. Open the config table, find bridge_enable and set it to 0  This will un-bridge it. ;)

One other thing, you're using Tinyportal, so that will also need upgrading to TP 1.0  You might find some of your blocks won't work, and will need updating to work with SMF 2.0.x 

lady_l

Advertisement: