News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help! Unable to create new boards

Started by mattymcrae, March 22, 2015, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattymcrae

Hi,

Have searched and done a google search also, but no help there.

I have a problem with creating new boards, I get the following error message...

I had a blogging mod installed and am not sure it is related but have uninstalled that and it is still broken.

attached is a copy of subs-boards.php i copied via filezilla.

Any help with this would be appreciated...

Sir Osis of Liver

Upload a clean copy of Subs-Boards.php from the install or large upgrade package.  The mod did not uninstall completely.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mattymcrae

Please see attached, I did find something about using phpmyadmin but i dont even know where to start setting that up.....

Sir Osis of Liver

phpmyadmin is for working with your database, nothing to do with this problem.  The blog mod corrupted one or more files, you have to upload clean files using ftp or your cpanel file manager.

- R. Waters

margarett

I think that the problem is not in the file, it's in the database. Check your table "smf_boards", you need to remove that column "blog_alias" because it has no default value and, since you removed the MOD, there is nothing to put in that field, thus the error you get ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mattymcrae

Quote from: Krash on March 22, 2015, 02:31:48 PM
phpmyadmin is for working with your database, nothing to do with this problem.  The blog mod corrupted one or more files, you have to upload clean files using ftp or your cpanel file manager.

Thanks for the help, I have uploaded a clean copy from the install zip file and it has made no difference......

Quote from: margarett on March 22, 2015, 02:36:12 PM
I think that the problem is not in the file, it's in the database. Check your table "smf_boards", you need to remove that column "blog_alias" because it has no default value and, since you removed the MOD, there is nothing to put in that field, thus the error you get ;)

Thanks for the advice, I dont even know how to login to PMA, i am ashamed to say, im a bit of a noob :-[

Bigguy

phpmyadmin is in your hosting control panel. You will have to go in and select your database and then look for the table in question. Once that is found you can remove your unwanted column from that table.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: margarett on March 22, 2015, 02:36:12 PM

It shouldn't be looking at that column if the mod uninstalled completely, so missing default value wouldn't matter, would it?

- R. Waters

mattymcrae

I'll have a look at PMA, The trouble with that is, SMF was installed as a web app via my Hosting service and I never set up a PMA login for it. I will have to ring my hosting service tomorrow and see what I can do about this. Thanks for your help so far everyone........

Sir Osis of Liver

phpmyadmin is usually found in the MySQL database section of cpanel, and doesn't require a separate login.  On some hosts (iirc, GoDaddy is one) a login is required because databases are remotely hosted, and I believe the login is the database name and password.

- R. Waters

mattymcrae

All fixed!  I spoke to my hosting provider and got my PMA  login details.  Then deleted the blog_alias  column as advised.

Now works like a charm,  thank you for your help everyone.

Advertisement: