Chit Chat police....

Started by Night09, March 22, 2015, 10:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night09

Who gives you Irisado the right to decide who can start a topic here in chit chat and who cant?

A member misses their parents and starts a conversation and its locked?

Someone round here needs to stop this bull******....

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=534933.0

Edit Seems Margarett is also joining the hazard county PD....

No wonder so many people quit here your over the top completely cutting down other peoples threads..

margarett

We "don't cut other people's threads". In fact, the amount of locked topics around here is actually very low.

Not sure why you are so upset but, anyway, you are not seeing the whole "picture", that's all I can say ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Deaks

Night, even I felt topic was not correct for SMF Community.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Shambles

Then the board description needs updating...

Quote from: Chit ChatFeel free to talk about anything, especially about how good we are for making this

Burke ♞ Knight

Yes, there does seem to be some threads cut short, due to the topics.
However, as much as I agree that some should not have been locked, there are times, when topics need to be, due to content that can be troubling, or arguing that wont stop.

That one topic really did not have to be started, in my opinion. Neither did the OP's other topic that got lost. Those posts "could" have gone into the status thread, instead, maybe, but own? No need for it, really. Hate to say it, but looked almost "troll" like or just posting wanting post count to go up. (Which don't think happens in Chit Chat, anyway...LOL)

Irisado

Quote from: Night09 on March 22, 2015, 10:06:52 PM
Who gives you Irisado the right to decide who can start a topic here in chit chat and who cant?

The Team takes collective decisions.  Just because I locked it does not mean it was not discussed first.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Steve

Quote from: Shambles on March 23, 2015, 04:39:45 AM
Quote from: Chit ChatFeel free to talk about anything, especially about how good we are for making this

As Shambles quoted, I always thought Chit Chat was for just about any topic.

I do see your dilemma though ... where does one draw the lines against trolling, advertising, etc. :-\
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

It is for "just about" anything. .. however, some things really just are not appropriate,  in general... and discussions were had before action...   so the "outrage" of the OP is just silly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Again, you are not seeing the "whole picture" ;)
Contrary to popular belief ;D , we don't like to lock other people's topics, nor we are tyrant bastards who like to show who's the boss  ;D
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Deaks

Quote from: margarett on March 23, 2015, 10:42:26 AM
nor we are tyrant bastards who like to show who's the boss  ;D

Well yourself excluded from this :P

Folks I am joking please take a fence!
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

ARG01

What if the world was square and we all had to jump the hump every six hours? And, if you were late, would you be left behind in a strange paradox?  ???
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Deaks

Quote from: Illori on March 23, 2015, 10:48:58 AM
Quote from: Kindred on March 23, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
"Take a fence" ?? ???

take offense.

No, Take A Fence, not take offense, if I wanted to say "take offense" I would have said that!

So yes Kindred you are correct, please take a fence, any fence you like :D  Just do it with permission dont want people in trouble.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Shambles

This thread should be locked (up) along with most of the contributors  8)

Deaks

im standing for office, I think that says enough about my sanity :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

LiroyvH

Same question can be asked here though; who gave you the right to be so aggressive towards team members who voluntarily spend a significant portion of their time here to help people out and make SMF better?
Our site, our decisions. Deal with it™. ;)

As for "so many people quitting"; People come and go, that's how it works; and that argument is getting really old: there's hardly any to none people leaving, and especially not over such very trivial "issues". It would've been true a few years ago, but not anymore...
But if you really hate it here so much: nobody forces you to come here. :P
If a topic getting locked is reason to scream and quit, guess you probably already didn't really feel at home.
You know you can download SMF and start your own site where you can decide what can stay and what must go, right? :)

Mind your blood pressure, take a breath, count to 10; be happy!
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Night09

Its not overly aggressive and isnt loaded with expletives.  It is a view of how I saw the threads and both people mentioned have replied to which ive not argued or questioned their replys.

It did look odd the threads had nothing serious or offensive as such mentioned but were locked anyway with no real reason obvious other than the subjects not being typical but then again it was done in chit chat. Theres no post gain in there so no overall gain to the OP of them.

Im not going to make a big thing of this as its pointless, I said what I said and thats it. Sorry to Irisado and Margarett if its offended you. I was a bit annoyed at the threads but seriously to some of the other replys I would not write off people for the sake of one single incident mentioned. I know both members do a lot for SMF but it doesnt mean nothing can ever be brought up right or wrong.

People quitting does bother me because I care about SMF, if a single person had got to know me better over the last 8 years or so they would know that. ;)

LiroyvH

There does appear to be a gain. :) Not everything is about postcount. ;)

As for the latter part:
Yeah no offense, but I heard that "caring" argument a lot as well... Maybe it's true in your case, maybe it isn't.
I'll happily believe it's true and give you the benefit of the doubt. But here's the problem:

People go on a rage, talk about how very evil the team is (usually over some highly trivial action) and then claim "super many people are leaving because of crappy policy x concerning situation y, the team is killing SMF!!"; which is false and utterly baseless, and not very helpful.
It can actually be quite damaging (imagine coming here for the first time, and then see nonsense lies about "everybody is leaving because the team are all bas****s!!1!").
And when those people are spoken to about their behavior: they claim "we really care about SMF, we're only doing this because we care".
In a way, by spreading that negative nonsense: you may actually get people to leave and, ironically, be the cause of that problem...
When you're deliberately trying to spread a false negative image: that doesn't sound very much like caring to me.

I personally don't really buy it anymore. If you really care about SMF: be constructive, polite and stop spreading the completely baseless "millions of people are quitting!" claims... And that goes for everyone whose done that lately by the way, not just you Night09.
Complaining, or rather: providing constructive feedback (both negative as positive!), is helpful and can help us if we're actually doing something wrong or there is room for improvement somewhere... Or by telling us we're doing something very good and that you're happy about something; that's also helpful, so we know what people like. :)
What is not very helpful at all, is doing it in a 'rage' fashion and adding irrelevant, and usually baseless, 'information'; nor is attacking the team helpful.

If you have a problem with something/someone: simply making your concern known in a normal and polite way is really all you have to do. :)
Absolutely no need to add negative BS to it. It'll actually be taken much more serious if you don't... ;) I considered your post borderline trolling. :P
If you would have just asked "Say, Irisado/Margarett, I see you have closed this topic. I don't know what's up, maybe I missed something or a discussion was held in the team boards, but I really don't like seeing topics being closed like that with no clear reason. What is going on!?", you would have received an answer as well... (Maybe not with full details, but that's a different story.) Was it really necessary to post in the way you did instead...? ;) See the difference? :) Alternatively, you can simply report the post...

Either way, your feedback here has been noted.
It was a team decision, for good reasons. If you do a wee bit of looking: you might get an idea why.

For now, I think enough has been said about this 'matter'.
The team decided those topics should be closed, for perfectly fine reasons, and that's pretty much the end of it. :)
Kill me for doing this if you like ;)... But I'm closing this topic now. An answer has been provided and I don't think the topic really belongs here in this fashion. We encourage people to provide helpful feedback, preferably for non-trivial matters, but in a normal way only.

Thanks!
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: