News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Questions About Responsive Themes - Mobile Environment

Started by SD-X, March 24, 2015, 06:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD-X

I'm currently remaking an old SMF 2.0.x theme for future use on a community website when SMF 2.1.x is released, and the forum gets updated. Unfortunately due to existing issues, I am unable to remake the theme in a responsive manner that works completely with mobile browsers. (It also seems to bug out in specific locations of the page when viewed in these browsers, but desktop ones work fine).

On to my point...is it possible to set SMF 2.1.x to use a different theme only when viewing from a mobile browser? Also, with the responsive theme CSS removed, does SMF 2.1.x force any other changes upon a page when it detects that it is being viewed in a mobile browser, or is it simply a mobile browser limitation that could be causing my issues? (The same theme works fine in SMF 2.0.x, so I'm assuming it is either an issue on my end with the remade theme, or something SMF is doing differently compared to before).

Kindred

Anything is POSSIBLE... if you can code it. However, smf does not have mobile theme switching code...  si uou would indeed have to code it.

Mobile only thenes are on the way out anyway...

I am unsure about your second question. ..
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

For 2.0.x (making responsive): http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=532406.0

SMF 2.1 has better mobile phone detection afaik, so you can code to force a mobile theme upon phone/tablet.

Not really, responsive.css does all the work with help from one meta tag.

SD-X

Quote from: Antes on March 24, 2015, 10:13:42 AM
For 2.0.x (making responsive): http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=532406.0

SMF 2.1 has better mobile phone detection afaik, so you can code to force a mobile theme upon phone/tablet.

Not really, responsive.css does all the work with help from one meta tag.
That was my concern. The 2.1.x theme itself isn't mobile-friendly, so I was hoping there would be an alternative without modifying the forum itself.

Kindred

Ummm....  What do you mean the 2.1 theme is not mobile friendly?
The 2.1 theme is responsive... Which means that it is both mobile and desktop friendly...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SD-X

Quote from: Kindred on March 25, 2015, 12:17:53 AM
Ummm....  What do you mean the 2.1 theme is not mobile friendly?
The 2.1 theme is responsive... Which means that it is both mobile and desktop friendly...
The default 2.1 theme is mobile-friendly. The 2.0.x theme I'm remaking is not in 2.1.

Antes

If I get it right, you are trying to use 2.0.x as base to build a theme for SMF 2.1 ? If so you are doing it horribly wrong. All themes SHOULD be based on Curve2 if you are making it for SMF 2.1 literally no exceptions.

SD-X

Quote from: Antes on March 26, 2015, 11:23:53 AM
If I get it right, you are trying to use 2.0.x as base to build a theme for SMF 2.1 ? If so you are doing it horribly wrong. All themes SHOULD be based on Curve2 if you are making it for SMF 2.1 literally no exceptions.
I am remaking a theme in SMF 2.1.x that existed only in SMF 2.0.x. I am not using any SMF 2.0.x code to do it. The problem is that the theme's design is not friendly with SMF 2.1.x's mobile design, so a couple sections of it break in mobile browsers. (Curve2 is indeed the base for this. There is no documentation on any other way to create themes in SMF 2.1.x yet, unfortunately).

If it helps explain anything, the original theme design is SMF 2.0.x Core-based, so converting over the design in new code is not exactly the easiest thing to do. :P

Kindred

You will not be able to convert it at all... Most especially not from the 2.0 core theme....

What you *should* be doing is taking the 2.1 curve2 theme and then altering what you need to get a similar look/feel...   Work from there, not trying to take 2.0 templates and port them up. That will never work.
Слaва
Украинi

Antes

I see :) - yes if you are changing things around responsive parts needs changes as well. There is no doc. about Curve2 or creating themes in SMF 2.1, I hope we can create some in future but no promises from me since my real life is busy.

Feel free to write problems you are facing while porting your theme, we'll help you as much as possible :)

Advertisement: