Move quote, reply, modify, split topic etc to an actions menu

Started by Josh4596, March 24, 2015, 10:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh4596

I've seen themes that do that and it makes the post view so much cleaner. Could someone possibly throw together a mod that does this for any theme?

Here's a pic of what I'm proposing:

Use the attached picture to know what I'm referencing.

I'd like to take everything in the blue and move it to an "actions" or "post actions" or "moderation" drop down menu, placed where the print buttion currently is.

As an additional feature, if possible, I'd like to be able to take the <<previous and next>> highlighted in green, and use an image instead. It would be nice to replace report to moderator with an image too. This feature isn't as necessary as the above features are though. The idea of this mod is just to clean up the post view and maybe even category view at a later date. Thanks for your consideration, let me know what you think and if you'd like more detail.

If this already exists please let me know. I searched for over an hour and couldn't find a mod like this.

Josh4596

Can't edit my post. Wanted to mention that obviously quote shouldn't be moved as each post can be quoted, but it'd be nice to get rid of the text and just have an image that says quote on hover.

Pipke

idea is good, but i think most 'new' users dont really know then right away what is all possible when they want to reply of quote etc to a topic, cos they dont see it directly.
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

Steve

If it were titled something like 'Post Options' I think it would be obvious to the newest of users. :)

@ Josh, editing is only allowed for a short period of time.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Except for the fact thst everything you list is done on a specific pist, not on a thread...   so why would those actions be moved to the thread level action buttons?? ???

You say; keep quote... but everything else is done per post, just like quote

What you requested makes no sense at all..
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Josh4596

Right I didn't explain it well or think it through well when I posted...

The ones that are post specific would stay but icon only, no text.

Any that are topic specific would be moved to this actions menu I mentioned.

Clearest way I can explain it

Also an option get rid of the modify button at the bottom right of the post would be nice, as there is already a modify button at the top right of the post.

Kindred

1- **ALL** of the menu items in the POST section are POST-specific.

Unapprove
    Modify
    Remove
    Split Topic

those are all specific to an individual post

2- the icon to the lower right is the QUICK-EDIT which is a different action to modify (modify opens the edit-post in a whole new window, quick edit edits the post inline.)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Josh4596

Yes I know it's quick edit. I also know it's not necessary to have and looks stupid where it's placed. If it's necessary to keep it it can still be moved to the top. Not quite sure why you're trying to argue with everything I say.

Second of all, no. Not all of them are post specific. If you looked at my attached pic you would see the top blue box, all of that is topic specific and could be moved to a dropdown menu above the thread. I've seen it done. Technically the post options could also be moved to their own drop down menu within the post. I know what I want is possible, my question is if this could be done with a mod or if it's a theme thing, and if it can be done with a mod is someone willing to give it a go. Wouldn't be too difficult to have options to customize the way it's displayed, it doesn't have to work only specific to what I want.

"« previous next »
    Add poll
    Notify
    Mark unread
    Send this topic
    Print"

Are the topic specific options I am talking about. What I want is prev and next able to be replaced with images, I want those topic specific options moved to a dropdown (as dozens of custom themes have already done) And then the post options could also be moved to a dropdown within the post or at least have the option of removing the text and only showing it on hover. I can't make myself any clearer than that.....

Now I already know for a fact this is possible. My question is if this can be done with a mod and if anyone is willing to attempt it. Pretty positive the top dropdown would be possible with a mod, not so sure about the dropdown within each post. Not sure about others, but I know I'd be willing to pay a small fee for a mod that can do this to any theme I choose rather than having to use some paid theme that would cost just as much as the mod.

Edit: I've attached more pictures, it's impossible for you to not understand what I'm talking about using those pics. See how clean the topic/post options are? That's what I want.. In a mod..

In pic #2 the more dropdown would contain moderation options assuming you are a mod/admin or the owner of the post. Such as modify, quick edit, delete, etc.

Kindred

Well, since a mod is just a series of cGanges to the core code, yes, it could be done as a mod...

However, it could not be done as a mod to affect all themes...  Since it is likely that any theme witha custom display.template.php would have different coding and would probably fail on a mod install.

Also,more placing links with images is a bad idea. The move in current web design is to use text  for every link  that can possibly use it.

As for arguing with you... I am not, actually...  I am presenting the reasons not to do what you seemed to be asking... 
Sure, the thread level action menu could be changed to a drop down...  Personally, and with my up experience, I feel this is a poor ux choice, but it's your site.

But back to the original request...   Requesting a mod to do this is probably not worth it... Doing it manually for each and every theme is probably the best and most effective way to do it.
Слaва
Украинi

Josh4596

Sorry for the attitude just seemed like you were trying to contradict everything I said. I'll wait for a few more replies but I'll likely end up buying the forked version of smf I found this in if it can't be done or no one wants to take it on.

Kindred

You have missed my point.. It CAN be done (even if I do not recommend it) it just can't really be done as a mod which can affect "all themes"

As for this fork that you mention... I think I know which one you mean, and I most certainly recommend against that, since the creator of that fork is known for moderate coding issues and being unwilling to support many mods without payment... (And I have seen complaints even from the folks who did pay)
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I wonder if he has changed his policy whereby his mods all call his server every time you install one of them.

Antes

yet those parts in the picture(s) are taken from SMF 2.1, so you can compare things in SMF 2.1 and take the changes (not a basic thing but right way to do it).

Advertisement: