News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Family tree database

Started by waris, March 25, 2015, 09:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waris

Hi,

I have a family tree database which has it's own website which I would like to move to my SMF forum so that access to it will only be from my forum. It is a moderate size database with +-7000 names, a few thousand families and id photos.

Q. Where in the SMF forum in my cpanel should I move the database to? or

Q. Should I open a new folder in "myforum"in cpanel and move the database into the folder.

Kindred

why do you have to move anything?

as for moving the database....  databases are not FILES that go in folders on the website (unless you have a dedicated server and direct access to the OS)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

If I understand correctly, you just want to link that website from SMF.
If that's the case, you don't need to move anything, you just need to create a link for it in SMF, in a place you like. A link is just that, so it will open anywhere.

If you want to integrate that website into SMF, that's another thing entirely (and not an easy one...)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

waris

Quote from: Kindred on March 25, 2015, 04:53:45 PM
why do you have to move anything?

as for moving the database....  databases are not FILES that go in folders on the website (unless you have a dedicated server and direct access to the OS)

The database is generated by my family tree program and has an online html version which I can copy into a script box in my 'BlueVoda' website creator and upload directly into any folder in my "cpanel". you can check it out how it looks here:

http://www.siapamoyanganda.com/salasilah/index01.html

waris

Quote from: margarett on March 25, 2015, 08:11:26 PM
If I understand correctly, you just want to link that website from SMF.
If that's the case, you don't need to move anything, you just need to create a link for it in SMF, in a place you like. A link is just that, so it will open anywhere.

A. I have already done exactly that. The problem is that once they are finished with the family tree they usually close the page and move away without returning to the forum. This is what I dont want. I want them to return to the SMF forum automatically once they close the page.

If you want to integrate that website into SMF, that's another thing entirely (and not an easy one...)

The above is not necessary.

Kindred

I want them to return to the SMF forum automatically once they close the page.

there is no good way to make that happen

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

waris

Thank you Kindred & Margarett for your replies.

Advertisement: