Show mobile theme based on OS

Started by Biology Forums, March 27, 2015, 03:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Hello all,

I am creating an exclusive mobile theme (non-responsive). I want, based on the user's OS, to show this mobile theme as default, then have a link at the bottom (entitled 'Switch to Desktop') that forces my server to show them the desktop version if requested. Of course, if the theme is reverted to desktop, the link at the bottom says 'Switch to Mobile'.

I understand guests will be session-based, while registered members will be database-based. Any one successfully implemented a system like this, and if so, please give me a breakdown how it is done.

Awaiting your response.

Suki

I do not fully understand, what would be the benefits of serving a different theme if you have X or Y OS?

Are you planning on using each OS capabilities somehow?  if thats the case, an app would be more suitable.

Do you actually mean OS and not browsers or screen resolution/mobile devices?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Biology Forums

I just assumed OS would suggest mobility.

For example, if using Android OS, show theme X. On second thought, perhaps discriminating by resolution would be more practical.

Any thoughts on this matter?

There is a paid theme/mod that does this already, quite well, called SMF for Mobile. I want to create my own, however.

Illori

keep in ind actual screen resolution on phones is going up, for example my phone has a resolution of 1080x1900. you are best to look at user agents of the browser they are using.

rickey29

Is this what you are looking for: http://mobiforge.com/design-development/a-very-modern-mobile-switching-algorithm-part-ii [nofollow]

I have a simple implementation, for another project, not SMF: http://flexplat.com/ [nofollow].  You can check the code.

I suggest you begin from a simple solution.  If users have positive feedback and request more functions, improve it later.

Advertisement: