Changing colours

Started by swerveq, March 28, 2015, 05:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swerveq

Is there a way to change the background tint colour weights on a threads list page so that it alternates light/dark?

Deaks

what smf version?  what theme? and if you can provide more info that also be great
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

swerveq

Quote from: Ρουνικ on March 29, 2015, 10:14:55 AM
what smf version?  what theme? and if you can provide more info that also be great

It's the Curve theme and version 2.09 (same as this board)

Some members are finding it difficult to follow the status information of the thread from left to right across the page.

Deaks

look in css and change color of .windowbg and .windowbg2 this will also change it on board index aswell however.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

swerveq

Quote from: Ρουνικ on March 29, 2015, 06:10:08 PM
look in css and change color of .windowbg and .windowbg2 this will also change it on board index aswell however.

Thanks for that but will this allow me to alternate the colours - light/dark/light/dark and so on? It's a bit like when you lock one topic. That makes the bg darker for that topic only.

Deaks

yes its default on SMF just the colors used are quite similar.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

swerveq

Quote from: Ρουνικ on March 29, 2015, 06:28:00 PM
yes its default on SMF just the colors used are quite similar.

Thanks again. I'm not that familiar with altering HTML. Are you able to tell me where I find this css and be a bit more specific about changing the colour?

Deaks

Using FTP

How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?

Or FIle Manager in your hosting cPanel

go to Themes/default/css

here you will see index.css/

In this file look for

/* Alternating backgrounds for posts, and several other sections of the forum. */
.windowbg, #preview_body
{
color: #000;
background-color: #e7eaef;
}
.windowbg2
{
color: #000;
background-color: #f0f4f7;
}

where it says background color, change the # code to what it to what you want
http://www.color-hex.com/ < is a good site to get the # value you need for colors
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

swerveq

Sorry to be a pain and I really do appreciate the time you're taking to sort this for me.

The alternating colours you mention above work fine and I don't need to change those as they are for posts. However the page before the posts lists the threads where you can select which to click and go to the posts of a particular thread.

What I am after is having alternating colours on the threads page if possible. The page I'd like to change can be seen here http://uavforums.uk/index.php?board=1.0 [nofollow] (I should have given you this first really)

As you can see all the threads below the three stickies at the top, have the same colour.

Kindred

alternating on the MESSAGEINDEX is complicated...   especially when you get into the sticky and locked colors...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

swerveq

How about a change of shade when you hover the mouse over a thread?

I've seen this on other themes.

Kindred

firefox + firebug is your friend..

.td subject
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

As Kindred said that is quite abit trickier but not impossible, I have done it before but in 1.0 line, ill finish this report that was due on Friday past then get back to you once i get chance to play with it.

Edit: darn it you replied before I did
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

swerveq

Quote from: Kindred on March 30, 2015, 07:52:45 AM
firefox + firebug is your friend..

.td subject

Sorry, very new to all this. Not sure what you mean.

Kindred

IF you plan to customize your site, you need to learn basic (and probably more than basic) CSS...

the area that controls the layout/color of the post title on the messageindex page uses the css class .td subject

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/sel_hover.asp
Слaва
Украинi

Deaks

if you want to change the color of the title look for

.table_list tbody.content td.info a.subject
{
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 110%;
color: #d97b33;
}

and add after it

.table_list tbody.content td.info a.subject:hover
{
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 110%;
color: #123456;
}

replacing the #123456 with teh color you wont, thnis should only change the subject wording not the whole cell, to do the whole cell would take bit more work
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

swerveq

I see what you mean but it's only the background shade I am looking to change on the hover really rather than the wording.

The coding is beyond me unfortunately although I am able to swap the code over OK. Is there anyone able to do this for me. I am happy to pay if it's not too much.

Kindred

shouldn't take too much more work... -- in theory, the hover argument can apply to more than just links

. topic_table td.subject:hover {
background: #<newcolorhex>;
}
Слaва
Украинi

Deaks

I would be more inclined to do this:
in messageindex.template.php find

<td class="subject ', $alternate_class, '">

change to something like

<td class="subject my_class">

then create a my_class in your css

so using the previous code I gave for windowbg

.my_class
{
background: #e7eaef;
}
.my_class:hover
{
background: #f0f4f7;
}

this is a wee example and would need worked on, but both methods should work
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

swerveq

I just know I'll mess this up if I try to do it so I'll need to find someone to do the whole code for me I think.

Advertisement: