News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help ( Membergroup & Boards )

Started by Alex10455, March 29, 2015, 12:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex10455

Basically I have created a somewhat 'restricted board' membergroup.

This group is ONLY suppose to show the boards I've assigned it to meaning lets say for example

Regular forum members see the boards

-News
-Off topic
-Images

The 'restrictive group' isn't suppose to see the ones normal members see but only the 'restrictive board'

No matter what I have tried such as.

Inherit 'Guest' permissions
or
Use unique permissions

It still shows the normal boards regular users see!!

Can someone help me out?

Kindred

That would be because board visibility is controlled in the BOARD settings, not the membergroup permissions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Alex10455

I have unticked the membergroup from 'Board settings' if that is what you're talking about

Shouldn't this work as equal to the board settings

'Boards this membergroup can see' /index.php?action=admin;area=membergroups;

?

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on March 29, 2015, 01:09:29 PM
That would be because board visibility is controlled in the BOARD settings, not the membergroup permissions.

actually you can pick which boards a group can see from both areas. it is collapsed by default but you can do it from the groups edit page. given it is not really a permission but a setting.

is the new group the users primary and only non-post count group?

Alex10455

Quote from: Illori on March 29, 2015, 03:27:00 PM
Quote from: Kindred on March 29, 2015, 01:09:29 PM

actually you can pick which boards a group can see from both areas. it is collapsed by default but you can do it from the groups edit page. given it is not really a permission but a setting.

is the new group the users primary and only non-post count group?
Yes it will be his primary group and no he'll be allowed to post only the board he is suppose to see.

Illori

is the user in any additional groups?

Computer Hack

Not sure if this is what you want!

I have created my forum so all members of the public can see a limited number of boards which include "Forum Rules", "Forum News", "Motherboards", "Hard Drives", "Processors" and as you can see my forum is related to the computer users. However, I have created a hidden set of boards which only my family members can access and post to.

So lets recap, All members can view my general forum but cannot view my family boards. They can sign up on my forum but they can only view the general forum boards or the boards that I have assigned permissions to and not my Family boards. However, even though my family boards are private from the general public, each member of my family can still see everything on the main forum public boards. If I want to create a board or set of boards that certain people can't see, then I would have to amend the permission to suit.

Also across the screen where the forum headers or titles are "The highlighted" part of the row has + or - to indicate a dropdown menu or sub forum/board

I have created a set of boards within a category called the "Wright Family" which the general public should not be able to access. Only the six members of my family which I have assigned permissions to should be able to access these boards.

However, all my family members can access the rest of the boards on the forum.

Kindred

yes Computer Hack,

what you describe is a very basic use of the standard permissions allowed in SMF.
You can control visibility of boards (visible to group/not visible to group) and posting ability (no post/read only, reply only, reply only with approval, new threads, new threads with approval) by and for each and every membergroup on your site.

remember though -- SMF is **INCLUSIVE** in it's permissions. If one group grants access/viability to a board, then that user will be able to see the board, whether or not he/she is in any other groups

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

@ Alex, has your problem been resolved or no?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Alex10455

Steve

Then you'll probably need to post a url to your board so one of the wizards here can have a look.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: