News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Package Problems

Started by mystik1, March 30, 2015, 05:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mystik1

I am really sorry to ask this (because I know it has been asked before more times than you'd like to see, I'm sure), but even with all that, so far, I have not been able to find a solution.  I tried installing some packages.  The first one I tried was not for the 2.x version of the script.  So, I was glad to see it detected and prevented that.  I might have installed one more (and removed), I am not positive, but then I tried to install the package that would allow me to change the copyright.  It said the archive seemed to be empty and gave instructions to upload it manually.  So, I opened the file (it was not empty), extracted, created the folder like it said, etc.  I could not find the settings for it.  So, I then tried to remove it.  I couldn't get it removed.  Nothing seemed to happen.  So, I finally deleted the folder manually from the packages folder.  I think this may have been what messed me up.  Anyway, I proceeded to download the other copyright change package.  It downloaded successfully, it seemed, but it won't install.  I was getting this message:  "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"  I checked all the files and folders.  They were all set properly.  I even checked through the interface, and they seemed correct there too.  Well, I set everything recursive again anyway through all folders and files of the package folder.  Now it said it could not find the file.  A file is in the folder, but it did not have the same name as from the URL.  So, I renamed it to that.  Then it seemed to install, but again I could not find the setting.  I finally gave up and just edited the file manually.  So, that much is done.  But now I wanted to add Facebook connect to the forum (as the only login method if possible).  I did a search and this one came up:  "Social Login" from "oneall".  So, I downloaded it from their site, uploaded it, and had similar trouble again, but was again able to get it installed, or so it says.  Well, the installer said it was going to redirect to the settings.  It went to this URL:  <edited out; it won't let me post external links> but instead of it showing the settings, it shows the Administration Center.  It also mentions there being a OneAll Social Login option below when you click the Admin button.  See here:  <edited out; it won't let me post external links>.  It's not there.  In fact, my Main, Configuration, etc. buttons are gone now too!  Needless to say, I am getting really frustrated here.  I went back and reverted the copyright change, thinking maybe something had gotten messed up there, but it's still the same.  Does anyone know what's going on here?  How can I get going?  Thank you much in advance. 

margarett

Hi and welcome to sm.org ;)

I would first ask you to post your messages in a more "easy to read" format. Eg, please separate your different issies in different paragraphs. It's really difficult to understand your post like that...

Now, onto your problems (or what I can understand from it)
QuoteSo, I finally deleted the folder manually from the packages folder (.....)  "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"
Do you have a "temp" folder inside Packages? Maybe you removed it by accident? SMF should be able to create it but it's been known to fail in some setup (usually something related to permissions or ownership)

As for the rest of your problems: you should not need to install your MODs manually. That is only required in very specific cases. Furthermore, it's very easy to miss some parts, thus rendering your MOD unusable (and, in the long run, mess your forum completely).
I would advise you to load fresh files and start over. Do NOT go on an install spree. Try one MOD, if it fails ask for assistance.

Some wiki pages that you might find useful:
For you to start again with fresh files, keeping your content: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
(if you have no content, you can just delete all your files+database and install again ;) )

If you find a MOD that says it's not compatible with your forum version: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_can_I_install_a_mod_that_doesn%27t_work_in_my_SMF_version
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mystik1

Yes, I did create a temp folder.  Forgot to say that part.  That let me get by some part of the above.  I forget which now.  Anyway, I would like to maintain the settings I have made if possible.

mystik1

I meant to say thank you very much for the assistance so far.  I hope we can get something going.  I hate the image validation in this forum.  :D

margarett

Quote from: mystik1 on March 30, 2015, 07:25:40 AM
Anyway, I would like to maintain the settings I have made if possible.
So you should consider a fresh set of files. That will put clean files in place, while keeping all your forum content.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mystik1

I deleted all the files, reuploaded, and went through the installer.  The content is still there, and I would assume the settings too, but it still doesn't have the links down below Admin and such.  See here:

www.blazemp.com/temp/image1.jpg

margarett

You don't need to go through the installer. (in fact, you probably went through the upgrader, if you had run the installer your content would have been overwritten)

Anyway, I don't understand what links are you missing. Are you referring to the menus I marked in the attachment? If so, you activated the "side menu" which hides this. You need to click the double arrow pointing to the right, next to "Main"

mystik1

Yes, those are the ones I meant.  There must be a setting that is different now where it switches between the two different setups.  I did get the Social Logins working.  :)  Now I just need to figure out how to make it email certain address(es) when new posts are made, and I will be in pretty good shape.

mystik1

Ah, you told me the tweak.  Sorry...been at this all night (before of previous issues that lead to this)....no sleep yet.  :D

margarett

Giving old unsolved topics a spin. I marked this as solved as the original problem seems to have been fixed. Let us know if you still find problems ;)

Advertisement: