How to duplicate administrator membergroup?

Started by kwakoid, March 31, 2015, 02:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwakoid

Well I have the same problem as http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=184561.0
I have two kind of administrators who need to have full permissions but be separated by two different groups: old and new admins. I also have plugins which made no permission checkboxes at all and their permissions are automatically bound to administrator membergroup, so I can't add their permissions to other groups.

Any idea how to duplicate administrator group some way?

Colin

Hi Kwakoid,

Welcome to SMF. Unfortunately there is not an easy solution to this. The administrator group is a special group. The best bet is to customize the modifications to use permission hooks rather than try to hack another admin group.

Out of curiosity, why can't you keep just everyone in the one administrators group?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

kwakoid

Don't want to touch 'feelings' of old admins who are visiting still but not doing anything by getting new ones in "Admin" group and moving old ones into duplicated "Admins on pension"  :P

Illori

if both groups would have the same permissions, just give the pension a new primary group and add the admin group as an additional group.

kwakoid

Sadly some of plugins we use don't have ability to add permissions to other groups than Admin one, simply no checkboxes in "Permissions" page.

margarett

Administrator has no permissions as he is allowed to do everything. If you grant ALL permissions in a certain membergroup, it will not be a "Administrator" in the true sense of it (code-wise) but should work pretty much like like it.
When it comes to plugins, it depends. Can you give an example?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

I suspect he is talking about any mod that uses is_admin instead of checking an jndividual permission.

However, setting thd secondary group to admin shoukd actually do the trick. I use that trick on 3 forums that i run in order to put my account in a spwcisl displayed group.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: