Error 503 backend fetch failed

Started by MadCityKaren, March 31, 2015, 11:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadCityKaren

I've recently started a forum with SMF 2.0.9. 

Lately, my co-admin has been getting "error 503 backend fetch failed" messages when clicking on a link within the forum.  I've asked the webhost to check into this, but they are not seeing there are any issues or errors with this user and suggested I search SMF (which I've done) and/or ask here in the forum. 

My co-admin has not been able to tell me how often this happens or how long she is tied up with the error message, but she did ask if it could be an issue that she accesses the forum on a tablet. 

To the best of my knowledge other members are not having this issue. 

margarett

That seems SMF unrelated.

A quick google search:
https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/error-503-backend-fetch-failed-again.194799/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11420074/weird-varnish-503-error-what-does-this-mean

It seems an issue with Varnish cache (as every result points to Varnish)
Who is your host?

edit: actually, it might be caused by something in SMF that causes the page load to stall, thus timing out Varnish. Best solution for now would be to temporarily disable Varnish, just to see if an error which is more "easy to understand" pops up.

edit2: tablet... does she use Tapatalk?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

MadCityKaren

Thanks for the response, margarett.   :)

Not unsurprising the host is x10 (premium, not free) ... those results was why I'd contacted the webhost first. Looking around at the x10hosting forums, there had been discussion last fall about Varnish not being the issue, but the webserver, and that it had been addressed.

I will ask my co-admin about Tapatalk ... I had seen something about that somewhere as well, but don't recall what was said.   :-\

Edit:  She indicates that she does not use Tapatalk.  Uses Safari browser. 

margarett

Any news? Does this still happen? Were you able to disable Varnish?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

MadCityKaren

I've had no further complaints from the one member who had issues.  I suspect the issue was with the webhost and they managed to fix it, although was surprised no other members indicated having problems. 

Thanks for following up, margarett ... I think we can mark this solvedclosed (but I'm about to post another issue about how to resend an activation email if I can't find an answer somewhere...)

Advertisement: