integrating smf forum with my website

Started by Accomplishmates, April 01, 2015, 03:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Accomplishmates

I, like many other users, already have a website and wish to create a page to host the forum by integrating smf into my design. Everything I have read suggests that this is possible and, in fact, there is a page in the smf wiki "Integrating Your Site and Forum - Visuallyhttp://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Integrating_SMF_with_your_website" which claims to tell me exactly how to do it! However, many of the files, locations or lines of code which are referred to in the wiki, do not exist in the current version! I'm assuming that it is just a version problem and that the wiki needs to be updated, however, there is too much that is different for this to work, from what I can tell. I have tried several times, to follow the instructions carefully, from scratch (assuming I had made a mistake or had, somehow altered the original files before I started) trying both methods separately, but each time I end up the same way... With a mess!
I eventually figured out how to get it to appear embedded into my design, however, having only deleted the parts as instructed, it lost all of the layout information for the forum part which left sections overlapping and/or sticking out in odd places.
Ultimately, I would like to integrate the forum (using a very simple theme, such as "hope") into my page that is responsive (resizable for different device screen sizes). Any help on how to achieve this will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Kindred

not sure what you mean... we have not removed any files...    What files do you think are not present in the current version?
It's not very different at all (assuming you are talking about 2.0.x) --

Also -- this doesn't belong in the documentation section....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Accomplishmates

I'm sorry, I may have got carried away when I used the word "files" I was sure there was some file related problem but I will confirm, if I remember! However, to be more exact with the issues I had with the instructions:
A tiny issue - it says find the code "<html>" which, if you use (ctrl+f) find, comes back with nothing because the code is "<html xmlns="hxxp:www.w3.org [nonactive]......" (Like I said, a tiny point!
The next part says to remove the upshrink part by deleting some code that starts "<a href="#" onclick..." that doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the file.
It also says "(assuming you remove the above part)" but doesn't explain how to do it IF you leave it in! I have tried it both ways but with similar results.
The alternative method, using layers, has the same issue with the upshrink part of the code which appears to be missing but then, the biggest problem I have is finding the ID. The instructions say "To find this id (which, if you've only created one theme, will be 3) you will need to check the link to "preview" it in your profile." I can't see any link to "preview" anything anywhere, let alone in my profile.
I'm sorry, if I offended you in some way, with my original post. I certainly got that impression from your reply. I understand that you took issue, especially, with my use of the word "files" in reference to missing items but I feel that the main point of my post was missed. That is that after following the instructions, carefully, the end result was not as expected. I was merely frustrated at getting so close, by following the instructions and wondering if these small errors, omissions or my misunderstandings of instructions is the cause of the problems I am discovering.
After spending many hours going through what I have, line by line, I seem to have got close but not close enough to be useable! I am now worried that I can't see the forest for the code! Please help! Is there somewhere I can send my copy of the Index.template.php file so, perhaps you can see what I mean?

Herman's Mixen

as i statet many times before the information on the intergration part of the wiki is still incorrectly and never will on 2.x branches, but there is another topic wich is more accurate to do it, but that code needs also be fixed... so you need to be a bit of a coder to perform such tasks....

look here as a start
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163770.0

Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Advertisement: