News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mobile Theme Build Thread

Started by Biology Forums, April 01, 2015, 10:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Quote from: Sapozhnik on May 13, 2015, 03:02:05 AM
Super!!! It looks really very nice!!!
What about SMF 2.x.x? ;)

Ha! Don't think that will ever happen. This literally took me 1.5 months to complete, working on it 1 to 3 hours daily. I probably put 80 total hours of work to get it to this point and it's only 80% done.

Thanks for the compliments. Feel free to replicate it though, the design, the idea.

Gluz

Just for curiosity, what kind of mobile device do you have that the captures are square?

The theme looks really good, too bad that is for 1.1.x, in two of my 2.0.x forums need some "mobile friendly" theme as the themes I have are not responsive at all and can't afford SMF4Mobile.

Biology Forums

I am using the BlackBerry Passport - great visibility, great device. I have also tested it on an iPhone 4. Visibility was OK, but it still looked nice.

PM Sent*

roshaoar

Antechinus

Quote from: Shuban on April 01, 2015, 10:45:00 PM
Hello all,

I've decided to share the progress of my mobile theme build.

Using one of Antechinus' mobile themes (which he was kind enough to lend me), I've decided to create a full mobile theme for one of my forums. I will not release the code, just want to keep track of it.

I didn't exactly "lend" it to you. That would imply I would be asking for it back at some stage. What I did was give you all the files for the thing, on the basis you could do what you liked with it as long as you didn't keep the original site's look and images (which you didn't want anyway).

You've done a nice job converting it to match your site, and have obviously added a few extra tweaks to functionality too. If anyone is curious, for comparison the original beast is over here: Mobile theme ideas (split from Outline).

Quote from: Sapozhnik on May 13, 2015, 03:02:05 AM
Super!!! It looks really very nice!!!
What about SMF 2.x.x? ;)

Lotsa work. There's probably not much point at this stage, since 2.1 is arguably stable enough for live use (assuming you're not a beginner admin) and 2.1 is responsive anyway. However if anyone was feeling dedicated enough, it'd certainly be possible to drop 2.0.x logic into the same markup and css. It wouldn't be a job for beginners though.

The other alternative, if you need something free for 2.0.x and that works on mobile, would be to use the old Curve mobile theme that Dragoon made ages ago. It's very simple, but it was a freebie and was quite functional. There are a few others too. See this page and try some of them out as test themes: http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;basic_search=mobile

Biology Forums

QuoteYou've done a nice job converting it to match your site, and have obviously added a few extra tweaks to functionality too. If anyone is curious, for comparison the original beast is over here: Mobile theme ideas (split from Outline).

Thank you. And yes, it was the original beast that started it all.

QuoteLotsa work. There's probably not much point at this stage, since 2.1 is arguably stable enough for live use (assuming you're not a beginner admin) and 2.1 is responsive anyway. However if anyone was feeling dedicated enough, it'd certainly be possible to drop 2.0.x logic into the same markup and css. It wouldn't be a job for beginners though.

Correct, definitely not a job for beginners. I knew enough PHP and CSS to get it this way; also had to clean up a lot of the coding that was left behind from the original and add a lot of custom coding myself.

Pipee

Advertisement: