Determining the data of last back-up (2 years ago)

Started by Siirist, April 02, 2015, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

HI,

Used to have SMF and was very happy with it. What version of SMF should I use, or is that identified in the back-up?

Thanks in advance,
Survivor of Abuse (SOA)
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

margarett

You can check the table smf_settings. The version in the first field should let know know which branch was in use (not the exact version).
So if your database says, eg, 2.0.4, this means that your forum was running some version in the 2.0.x branch, AT LEAST version 2.0.4

In this case, you need to use NOT 2.0.4 files, but the latest version of 2.0 branch, right now 2.0.9 (because there were no database changes since 2.0 final - or even before)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Siirist

Quote from: margarett on April 02, 2015, 10:43:33 AM
You can check the table smf_settings. The version in the first field should let know know which branch was in use (not the exact version).
So if your database says, eg, 2.0.4, this means that your forum was running some version in the 2.0.x branch, AT LEAST version 2.0.4

In this case, you need to use NOT 2.0.4 files, but the latest version of 2.0 branch, right now 2.0.9 (because there were no database changes since 2.0 final - or even before)

So if it is 2.0.4, then I should use that version to install and then upgrade?
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

margarett

No, no no... Don't install anything or you will overwrite the database and loose content!

Just follow the following procedure to load fresh files
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
But you need also a new Settings.php because you have none, so get the install package to retrieve Settings.php and upload this file also.

Finally, run repair_settings
What is repair_settings.php?
Give it the name, user and password to your database, fix the paths, save and remove the tool. Done ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Siirist

Okay, thank you so much for your help!!!
You're AWESOME!!   :D
Needed information:

Illori

Quote from: margarett on April 02, 2015, 10:58:39 AM
Finally, run repair_settings
What is repair_settings.php?
Give it the name, user and password to your database, fix the paths, save and remove the tool. Done ;)

give it the name, username, password save then fix the paths and save. needs to be saved 2 times so it can connect to the database.

Siirist

Okay, so here's what the back up says

thegr45_smf2-complete_2012-05-06.sql

See attachment

To me, this means that my sql should be named "thegr45"?
or is the database named "thegr45"?

Can I just do an install and rename the back-up?

Little confused.  ???

Thanks in advance,
Cloud
Needed information:

margarett

You need to pick the most recent of those files and import it to phpmyadmin first ;)

Siirist

Quote from: margarett on April 10, 2015, 10:40:07 AM
You need to pick the most recent of those files and import it to phpmyadmin first ;)

Okay, thanks, will give that a shot.   :)
Needed information:

Siirist

Quote from: margarett on April 10, 2015, 10:40:07 AM

Well, phpMyAdmin wouldn't let me do that. So, I unzipped it and tried that=Nope. So, I copied the .SQL to a New Folder and RENAMED it to the same name as my database=Nope. Then, I turned OFF my Firewall AND turned off my Anti-Virus software and tried again. No luck.
RATS!

Cloud
Needed information:

margarett

Why doesn't phpmyadmin let you do it? Any error?

Edit: not worth to create folders, etc. file system is one thing, database is another thing...

If you are having timeouts or file size limitations, try this
http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/usage/

Siirist

Needed information:

Illori

how exactly are you trying to restore the database backup?
have you created a database?
are you using phpmyadmin?
have you selected the database that you created before uploading the backup?

Siirist

how exactly are you trying to restore the database backup?  phpMyAdmin
have you created a database?  Yes
are you using phpmyadmin?   Yes
have you selected the database that you created before uploading the backup?   Not able to select database to import into.

Give me a minute and I will get a screen shot of the screen and a screen shot of the error
Needed information:

Illori

in what way can you not select the database? it should be listed on the left side of phpmyadmin. you must select the database before you can import it.

you could always send a message to your host and ask them to do the import for you.

Siirist

here is a pic

I also have a pic showing the names of my 2 databases AND the usernames there of
Needed information:

Illori

i would suggest you contact your host, sounds like a config issue they can resolve.

Siirist

Needed information:

Kindred

actually... from that picture it suggests that you may only have a single database allowed for your account.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: