Cloud Flare CDN

Started by suhaneankit, April 04, 2015, 05:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suhaneankit

Does cloud flare really helps to deliver the static contents very fast ?

I have been using SMF without cloud flare and it is really very very fast but recently i installed cloud flare on my SMF and it seems to be very slow forum now :O any help why it is ?
I checked from different-2 locations using webpagetest but found my forum slow now.

7 Steps IRCTC Registration IRCTC Registration in 7 Steps
Check PNR Status IRCTC PNR Status

Kindred

no. Cloudflar won't help with a php-based forum... pretty much no benefit what so ever.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

suhaneankit

You are correct Kindred, i am going to remove cloudflare now by changing the nameserver.

青山 素子

Just to note, CloudFlare can help a bit by caching static elements like theme images, CSS, etc. However, due to the nature of a forum, caching pages won't work so well and CF won't provide any speed boost. In some cases, because of it having to proxy the site, it may be a bit slower. On average, it's not going to speed up SMF.

There are other benefits to the use, like "hiding" the IP of the web server, acting as a lightweight WAF, and also blocking known spam IPs that may be found useful.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

suhaneankit

Yes! i moved out of cloud flare as it was slowing down my SMF.

But there was two pros of using CloudFlare:
1. Bandwidth saving
2. If your original server is down then CloudFlare will be running as proxy. So good user experience without any 5xx error
3. Blocks all the spams.

Kindred

there is little to no bandwidth saving for forums - or any other site that has actual dynamic content.

if you server is down, then you are SOL... because SMF needs the database on your server. period. A proxy will do no good at all.

it does not block spam... and even if it did, there are several dozen good mods that are effective without messing things up like cloudflare and other proxies do...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

CloudFlare always runs as a proxy. I think you meant a cache, the "always online" feature.
I'm not sure if that functionality actually works on dynamic content... I don't think it actually does.
But even if it does: it's indeed only read-only. There is absolutely no way people can still post, or even look at their profile, read their PM's, et cetera. It likely only caches the board index and that's it... IF it caches that. ;)

Bandwidth saving is minimal indeed. Only when you have *a lot* of images hosted directly on the server, and a lot of visitors, it might come in useful. Otherwise you're talking of such little savings that it's not really interesting.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: