MariaBD 10.x

Started by The Factor, April 07, 2015, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Factor

Is MariaDB 10.x Supported.  I hear its better performance wise.  My host will upgrade me to MySQL 5.6 or mariaDB 10.  They say I cant go backwards though, without a lot of server rework..  Once I tread down the MariaDB path I must not depart from it..  My forum is small 300 on at anytime max.  More like 200..
Thanks,

Brent Dacus

Reading and learning still at 46..

vbgamer45

Mysql 5.6 should work with SMF 2.0.x

Maria  DB seems to work as well
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

WadaNon

MariaDB 10.x works fine for SMF. I have it installed in my server and it works as good as MySQL.
In the end is a matter of preferences.
No to support PMs and spam, yes to everything else :D

Kindred

at the moment, it appears to work.

We do not, however, officially, support it at this time
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

The Factor

Quote from: Kindred on April 07, 2015, 05:15:05 PM
at the moment, it appears to work.

We do not, however, officially, support it at this time

Thanks Kindred.

Any thoughts on supporting it? 

I assume you support MySQL 5.x or higher as well.
Thanks,

Brent Dacus

Reading and learning still at 46..

Kindred

the official support for 2.0 is listed in the wiki, I believe.

The official support for 2.1 will be significantly more recent versions of software/OS

We may add MariaBD to the list eventually, but we are currently focused on getting the beta 2 out sooner rather than later
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

Actually you can go back from MariaDB to mySQL.
You just can't go back to a lower version. Ex if you got MariaDB 10 and made fulltext InnoDB tables; you can go back to mySQL: but that will require a minimum version of 5.6. If you use regular tables, you may be able to get back to multiple 5.x versions of mySQL.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

青山 素子

Quote from: CoreISP on April 08, 2015, 10:29:43 AM
You just can't go back to a lower version. Ex if you got MariaDB 10 and made fulltext InnoDB tables; you can go back to mySQL: but that will require a minimum version of 5.6. If you use regular tables, you may be able to get back to multiple 5.x versions of mySQL.

In theory, you should be able to downgrade, but you'd need to dump the entire database first and then re-import it. Downgrading with the binary database files won't work.

As CoreISP noted, features in newer versions won't work in older, so you'll still need to watch out for those types of incompatibility.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: