SMF2.0.7 No more email notifications when a new member joins

Started by SatTrkr, April 10, 2015, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatTrkr

I just upgraded to version 2.0.9 two days ago so the files should be fresh. I have no mods installed. So if Godaddy host has problems who should I use as a host to ensure that SMF version 2.0.9 works correctly?
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Illori

SatTrkr

If you look on the Godaddy website and login you will see that it supports SMF Forums in their list of forums. My email notifications have been working for over a year with no problems and now, all of a sudden, they have stopped working. I was told to upgrade from SMF 2.0.7 to 2.0.9 to correct the problem and I did that and the notifications began working again only to stop working 2 days later. Changing hosts is not an easy task and I'd hate to make that change as an "experiment" only to find that that did not correct the problem. There must be a way to get to the bottom of this without these "experiments". Anybody have any ideas as to how I can chase down this problem to get to the bottom of this?
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

SatTrkr

I just had a long Chat Session with Godaddy. They did a email send test and all is working correctly. Here is something that they said:

•   Ben -
I just setup a test script and was able to send email so the server can send emails. You will need to check with your email provider and or review the scripts that send the email on the hosting.
•   Ben -
Our mail server will not send email containing a "From:" header entry of aol, gmail, yahoo, hotmail, live, aim, or msn.
•   You -
What does that mean?
•   Ben -
It means that the from address in the header of the message can't contain an email address of the ones I listed.
•   You -
So what comes out of the forum in the "From:" header of the email from the forum?
•   Ben -
Don't know that's something you need to review in the script that sends out the emails from the Simple Machines Forum

So based on what Ben (of Godaddy chat) is saying how can I check the script that sends out the emails from the Simple Machines Forum? Is there a file you can direct me to or can you explain what this means?

Illori

on the server settings page in the admin panel, it will have a field for webmaster email address. this should be an address on your domain, if you do not have one your hosting control panel should have an option to create one that you can use.

good luck getting it to actually work.

SatTrkr

Okay, so what do you mean "Good luck getting it to actually work". That appears to be a snide remark which I find it to be out of line. I am not in the mood to play games as I am a very busy man. So please, lets try to help me to get to the bottom of this without all the experiments. I changed to version 2.0.9 as suggested as a fix to the problem but the problem remains. Godaddy says that the outgoing email server is working properly. Google says that there are no filters preventing my emails to be received from the forum. I am not about to change hosting sites as an "experiment" as that is quite a bit of work on my part. Godaddy has SMF as an approved app on their website. If there is a bug in the SMF forum software then just say that and I will wait until it is repaired and I will stop wasting my time debugging something that I have no control over.

Illori

Kindred

Godaddy has *KNOWN* issues with sending the automated emails.
on one site, we get notifications of new users, but receive PM notifications only in sporadic instances, and never receive notifications of new posts in a watched thread.

Basically, they argue "we're all good on this side" and yet, the exact same configuration on almost any other host works correctly.

Additionally, GoDaddy is now to DELETE SMF files because their scan routing (incorrectly) marks them as spam...

In general - if you have an issue with the forum on GoDaddy, the problem is 80% or mroe, likely to be an issue with GoDaddy, not SMF.
They can mark SMF as approved all they want...   it doesn't mean that they have been properly configured.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

So which SMF file could have possibly been deleted by Godaddy that would cause the problem that I am having so I can reinstall that file and see if all is okay again. If I can do that then I have something to present to Godaddy as firm proof that they are messing up the operation of my forum. If I can't get some direction here then this will never get "fixed".

Kindred

no.. you missed my point.

Your issue is not due to a deleted file.
When GoDaddy deletes one of the files, the system throws erorr messages left and right...  it doesn't just "fail to send"

Your issue is related to some bizarre configuration of GoDaddy's mail system
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SatTrkr

Rather than me researching for my next hosting site can you give me the name of a specific hosting site that I can move my forum to? I am not particular on that front. I just want a host that will work with your forum software.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

SatTrkr

I already know that from a previous post on this thread. What I am looking for is a recommendation of a specific host from you. Can you do that for me?

Illori

we are recommending ALL of those, ALL of them will provide you good service and will have a working email server.

SatTrkr

I am trying to limit my time spent making a selection as picking a host is really not my forte. I see there are paid hosts and free hosts. I need a host similar to Godaddy that will allow me to have a website as well as a forum. I have many websites and one forum. If I move hosts I want to move everything and not just the forum. I would like to have the new hosting site to be able to provide Web Hosting in Linux and be able to handle multiple domain names under a single Web Hosting in Linux. Can you steer me in the right direction knowing my requirements?

desiamerican26

Hi Friends,

I also started to encounter problems with Email Notifications when any user joins the forum. I have the setting in the backend, am attaching an image for that. But I guess since I installed the Like/Thanks Mod, since then I been having this problem.

Would there be any solution for that since I want to keep the Like/Thanks Mod also for the forum. I am using 2.0.9 version of SMF.

Please check attached for my backend.

Thank You

margarett

You should ask the MOD support topic (or author's website if it didn't came from our for modsite). It's not supposed that a MOD breaks existing functionality but, in case it does, the author is the best person to assist you ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Steve

Sorry about that Bruno. He did ask in the mod's thread but I had sent him here because he hadn't mentioned that his problems began when he installed the mod in his original post.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=527032.msg3806905#msg3806905
DO NOT pm me for support!

desiamerican26

I am sorry Steve about not mentioning about the MOD. I don't know how I missed that point. Is there any solution for that?

kelvincool

I don't think the mod caused this issue, try uninstalling the mod and see if you still have the issue. If the issue goes away then sure, come over to the mod's support thread.

Advertisement: