News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF2.0.7 No more email notifications when a new member joins

Started by SatTrkr, April 10, 2015, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatTrkr

I do not have my own emails setup with the forum host. I will do that but I am moving today and tomorrow and will be online sporadically. As soon as I get settled in I will approach this problem as you have suggested. Thank you for staying with me on this.

However, I am using Outlook Express Classic mail program here on my computer which is an Outlook Express replacement program so those who prefer Outlook Express can continue using a program like that. The only thing is that Outlook Express Classic only works with Gmail, hence, why I am using Gmail for my email service provider. If I use my domain email I will not be able to retrieve those emails using Outlook Express Classic. I will ask the Outlook Express Classic developers if they are contemplating making their software package compatible with other email providers in the near future.

But, I will try the new suggestion just for curiosity.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

SatTrkr

Is Bluehost an acceptable hosting site to use for SMF 2.0.9?
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

margarett

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=160164.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=46391.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=384668.0

And many others that you can find in out hosts boards ;)
Take a special look at the last link I gave you. The conversation Mike had with their live chat really explains much about those "unlimited" hosts ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SatTrkr

I contacted them via chat this afternoon and, to my dismay, they weren't even answering the questions I asked and gave me answers that had nothing to do with the question that I asked. I talked to chat three times and got the same dead end responses. So I called them on the phone and asked some simple questions. I was referred to technical support. After talking with technical support on the phone it was obvious that he did not have the answers to my questions and he was asking around for help. After 25 minutes of this I just hung up and crossed them off my list.

SatTrkr

I just finished upgrading to 2.0.10. A test registration resulted in an email notification being received. So, once again, I will wait for a new user to register to see if I receive an email notification.

I have one question - do any of the source files ever get modified during the course of the forum being used? I don't believe that they do but I will pose the question anyway.

margarett

They don't. Unless you install MODs, no PHP files are touched (except in "cache" folder)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SatTrkr

A new registrant was posted overnight but I did NOT get an email notification for that registrant. I will continue the battle on this.

SatTrkr

For some reason I have now been getting new member email notifications. Don't know why. I did speak to Godaddy again and the error log they had setup was empty. My SMF error log was also empty. These error logs were checked based on my last post of not receiving the new member email notification. I will keep an eye out on this and if this should break again I will reopen this subject. Thank you for all those who have chimed in on this.

copugetsound

SatTrkr,

Thank you so much for tackling this problem!  I, too, started having the same problem about the same time you did, and I am on GoDaddy as well.  Received new member notifications fine, then they stopped.  However, my Global Moderators continue to receive the notifications, just not me, the Administrator. 

Due to being a novice and having some medical problems, I cannot tackle this directly.  Just wanted you to know you are helping me out tremendously. 

SatTrkr

I am glad to hear that someone benefited from my work. I do not give up easily as there is usually a solution to a problem if one puts his/her mind to solving it. I am not sure it is actually solved totally but, for now, it seems to be working good. Time will tell.

SatTrkr

New registrant email notifications appears to be still working properly so far.

Advertisement: